Why isn't financing flexible with AT&T Next?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
AT&T only offers 2 options when it comes to upgrading a device on NEXT.
1.) Pay to upgrade
2.) Pay to own

Why is there no option to apply an additional amount once the monthly bill is paid?

If my balance is $650..and I want to pay an extra $30 on top of the installment for several months, why can't I?

The seems to limit customer options. Are there financing charges hidden in the bill? Why wouldn't AT&T want me to throw them an additional $30 or whatever per month. As long each bill is paid on time and the account is in good standing, individuals should be able to pay down the balance as fast as they want.

IF you buy a device directly from a manufacturer..it is financed through a bank with 0% financing for 18 - 24 months. You can pay as much as you want, as long as each payment is on time.

Am I missing something?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if anyone can truly answer that question unless they work for one of the carriers. Most of us can only speculate. All I can offer and I know it's not what want to hear: put the money aside each month and pay it down at the end.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
AT&T only offers 2 options when it comes to upgrading a device on NEXT.
1.) Pay to upgrade
2.) Pay to own

Why is there no option to apply an additional amount once the monthly bill is paid?

If my balance is $650..and I want to pay an extra $30 on top of the installment for several months, why can't I?

The seems to limit customer options. Are there financing charges hidden in the bill? Why wouldn't AT&T want me to throw them an additional $30 or whatever per month. As long each bill is paid on time and the account is in good standing, individuals should be able to pay down the balance as fast as they want.

There should be no extra financing charges on the bill - at least I'm not seeing anything extra with Verizon's Device Payment Plan.

For monthly phone/device payment plans, I don't think any of the carriers allow you to pay beyond your minimum for the month, it's the monthly or pay it all.

IF you buy a device directly from a manufacturer..it is financed through a bank with 0% financing for 18 - 24 months. You can pay as much as you want, as long as each payment is on time.

Am I missing something?

And as long as each payment meet the minimum. (I think you're implying this, but just wanted to point that out)

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. Do you think its a benefit to carriers to have people on payment plans as far as their reporting goes? I might be thinking into it too much, but I guess its always better to have subscribers locked-in or bound as opposed to without an agreement or a month to month. Anyone's financial situation can change and devices get paid off every day so maybe it doesn't really matter.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. Do you think its a benefit to carriers to have people on payment plans as far as their reporting goes? I might be thinking into it too much, but I guess its always better to have subscribers locked-in or bound as opposed to without an agreement or a month to month. Anyone's financial situation can change and devices get paid off every day so maybe it doesn't really matter.

You're still month to month on service. If you leave, your remaining for the phone becomes due.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an S7A (like it so far) last week (on the 24 month w/ upgrade option at 12 months) but have decided to return it to corporate AT&T store, (have 14 days or until Fri. the 23rd to do so). And hoping they don't hit me with their $45 restock fee. Reason: just ordered the same phone (unlocked/will own outright w/no pymt plan) last night thru Amazon, for $233 less, so even if they do, I figure I'll still save $188, have no monthly pymts, and not have to cringe quite as much --each month-- whilst seeing how much AT&T is over-charging, as they do for everything.

Last edited:

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I think it's a way to keep you locked to the carrier for as long as possible, which helps them to make more money. what I did was put money aside each month until I have enough to pay off the phone

msyk5645

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Carriers make their money on the service, not the devices. Carriers at best break even when someone buys a device outright if they don't put it on a plan. Employees at carrier stores, as I am, only get paid when we sell devices on plans and most of us make more when we activate new service vs just upgrading existing.
As I occasionally tell customers, the idea is growing the business. Not just selling devices.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd brush the dust off of this one.

I read that wifi calling isn't available with unlocked phones on AT&T. The only way to have wifi calling is with an AT&T branded phone? Can someone confirm this?

So the Pixel and Pixel XL, S8 and S8+ unlocked, and basically any other non-ATT branded phone won't have this capability?

I have a G6 on a NEXT plan and find wi-fi calling to be absolutely clutch. When at work, I now am able to make calls and receive texts. I really don't see myself without it.

What I'm getting at is, that in order to have all of the features AT&T has to offer, one needs to buy a feature phone directly from them.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I read that wifi calling isn't available with unlocked phones on AT&T. The only way to have wifi calling is with an AT&T branded phone? Can someone confirm this?
What I'm getting at is, that in order to have all of the features AT&T has to offer, one needs to buy a feature phone directly from them.

That is my understanding.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2