International Pass use in Victoria BC

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to report that the International Pass option for use in Canada worked great for my family last month. We were visiting Victoria for a few days from the US and all we did was activate this option on ATT's web site. So for $10/day (per device) everything just magically worked. Our phone's worked seemlessly just like we were back home in the States, with unlimited talk minutes and text messages along with using our shared data. Speeds were comparable to the LTE speeds in Seattle. So, for a nominal cost we had cell phone use without any hassles.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
To cohoman & pkcable: @cohoman is oxon that your phone
"International Pass" worked great in a Canadian city

In my case I went to Costa Rica in Central America for 2-Wks Signed up
for a $50 International Pass everything work ok 750MB +80 Texts: 100Mins

The negative issue I couldn't receive local calls, but I was able to make
phone calls: I called my network "Telus" to my surprise the Agent who took

the case toldMe that whoever call my number, would be charged
as International call..Is this correct or they rip Me off.? :mad:

Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Local call vs long distance is kind of weird for cell phones.

It is based on the physical location of the calling cell phone and the meta-location of the receiving phone based on the phone number.

Any Costa Rica phone will see your USA phone number as an international call, even when you are standing across the street from each other in Costa Rica.

ATTKevin

Official AT&T Support
Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
To cohoman & pkcable: @cohoman is oxon that your phone
"International Pass" worked great in a Canadian city

In my case I went to Costa Rica in Central America for 2-Wks Signed up
for a $50 International Pass everything work ok 750MB +80 Texts: 100Mins

The negative issue I couldn't receive local calls, but I was able to make
phone calls: I called my network "Telus" to my surprise the Agent who took

the case toldMe that whoever call my number, would be charged
as International call..Is this correct or they rip Me off.? :mad:

Hey @Sam_Gs7.

I was in Pereira, Colombia a few weeks ago for work and became an expert on all things international.
@ManiacJoe is spot on as usual. Typically, a local caller calling you would incur long-distance charges for the reasons mentioned.

If someone in the US is calling you while you're abroad, they wouldn't receive any international chargers; it's on the receiver to accept the charge. In your case, since you had the international plan, that cost was covered.

Could you imagine someone back home forgetting you're abroad and getting hit with long-distance charges? That would make for an awkward situation :) It's definitely a good thing it works the way it does.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
O:) Special Thanks to ManiacJoe & ATTKevin: Appreciate your opinion on this
issue, but forMe is an abuse from-Any network which hidden calling fees

If they allow users to make >>Local calls with your International phone
why is that can Not allowed to receive phone calls, without extra charge
is inacceptable : on Top of that don't reveal that long distance charge

I already call my Network-Telus to complain about and I'd as well submit
the case to the CRTC = Canadian Radio and Television Commission

This Government Agency-Yearly collect complaints to apply corrections
to Radio & PhoneWireless networks, that offer these harmful deals

Last edited:

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Before going to Canada I looked into various alternatives to having talk/text/data access. One option would be to pay to have our phones unlocked and then purchase a preloaded SIM card from a local Canadian provider and use it while in Canada. It was much more convenient to just flip a switch on the ATT web site and pay the $10/day.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Before going to Canada I looked into various alternatives to having talk/text/data access. One option would be to pay to have our phones unlocked and then purchase a preloaded SIM card from a local Canadian provider and use it while in Canada. It was much more convenient to just flip a switch on the ATT web site and pay the $10/day.

My wife and I went to Bermuda for our 25th anniversary (2 years late) this summer, and the $10/day pass was the perfect answer for us. We had driven to PEI a few years ago and only the prepaid passports were available - $50 for 300MB was very expensive and very limiting.

$10 a day adds up, and in a lot of cases it makes just as much sense to buy a local SIM (if your phone is unlocked), but it sure beats the old Passport plans.

My wife and daughter just kept data off the entire time and tethered to me when needed, but I think I will add it to both of their plans just in case they ever need it. It costs nothing to have it active, and it's nice knowing that using my phone is a fixed, predictable cost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante