Switched to AT&T from VZW and got a sweet deal!

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
My hubby and I decided it was time to leave VZW because they terminated all future annual upgrades (edge up or whatever it was called.) I'll admit I was annoyed because I thought it was going to be a hassle....Well I couldn't have been more wrong! We went into AT&T and got the BOGO Note 8 offer, we also bought a Gear S3 Frontier LTE and a Gear S3 Classic LTE for $50 EACH! Everything went as smooth as butter and I'm loving the phone and my watch 😁

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I spoke with several representatives and they confirmed phones will no longer be offered that way. You must pay off devices in full in order to get into another device payment plan. Just look on the website, none of the phones in the VZW shop say you can upgrade after 50% is paid. Originally I called and spoke with sales, I was told yes I can upgrade after 50% but when I asked why it isn't on the website anymore, they only replied "I'm not sure." So finally, I was transferred to a different agent, this person took the time to do some research and told me any new phones purchased must be paid in full before you can upgrade. I want things in writing, contracts always said you could upgrade after a certain amount was paid but they don't do that anymore. This is not for anyone that already had an annual upgrade contract (like my daughters phone last year was annual upgrade eligible.) This is what they're doing from now on.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was told yes I can upgrade after 50% but when I asked why it isn't on the website anymore

My account still shows upgrade after 50%. The only thing I see changing there is Smart Rewards is ending in November due to the newest and greatest rewards thing they have now. I also see nothing on their website to indicate the 50% program has ended.

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
My account still shows upgrade after 50%. The only thing I see changing there is Smart Rewards is ending in November due to the newest and greatest rewards thing they have now. I also see nothing on their website to indicate the 50% program has ended.

If you purchased your phone with an annual upgrade contract then you're still eligible. As I already stated, this what what they're doing now. If you've purchased phones in the past on the website, you'd know it always said "this phone qualifies for upgrade after 50% is paid"... Now that is not the case and it is NOT there. They don't need to announce this on the website because it's simply not stated anywhere the Note 8 or even the new iPhone (last I checked 1 week ago) is eligible for this for purchases made NOW. Not only that but at least 5 customer service representatives told me, it's no longer offered on any new phone purchases. Believe me or not it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
After 27 years with vzw I switched 5 years ago and would never look back. Coverage is just as good if not better.

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Exactly! My brother's a truck driver so he's all over the country, and he told me the same thing. He has zero complaints

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had AT&T for going on 9 years now and haven't ever had any complaints. I get service everywhere that anyone I know with Verizon does and then some. My only complaint would be them trying to sell me on Uverse every single time I have to call about something 😂

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had AT&T since the first iPhone on launch day. No major complaints. I can also buy virtually any unlocked device and not worry.

My friends on Verizon however are always complaining. Not about reception but everything else.

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
So if you did the BOGO deal that means you have directv right? Just making sure they were clear with you on that one.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been with AT&T since '08 and have never had issues with them in regards to service and customer service. I've had T-Mobile and Verizon before then and neither worked well for me with either lack of service (T-Mobile) or expensive service for no reason (Verizon). Plus I have the unlimited data plan with direct TV and it's been great knowing I no longer have to worry about data overages

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I've been with AT&T since '08 and have never had issues with them in regards to service and customer service. I've had T-Mobile and Verizon before then and neither worked well for me with either lack of service (T-Mobile) or expensive service for no reason (Verizon). Plus I have the unlimited data plan with direct TV and it's been great knowing I no longer have to worry about data overages

That's great to hear! I don't anticipate having any issues with AT&T service either. I'm just happy I switched at the right time with all the incentives that were offered.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Verizon edge is gone, originally any phone could be bought and traded in early to edge up to a new phone. They got rid of the terminology, changed it to device payment, and require 100% device payment to upgrade.

Then shortly later the iPhone 6s came along, and they decided to offer the 50% annual trade in for people who bought it, so they could get the iPhone 7 the next year. They copied that idea with the S7, and a few other Samsung/Apple handsets since.

I assume the OP was told about edge being gone. It also seems the Note 8 didn't get the annual upgrade option from Verizon, I think only the Galaxy S qualifies.

Honey_184

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Verizon edge is gone, originally any phone could be bought and traded in early to edge up to a new phone. They got rid of the terminology, changed it to device payment, and require 100% device payment to upgrade.

Then shortly later the iPhone 6s came along, and they decided to offer the 50% annual trade in for people who bought it, so they could get the iPhone 7 the next year. They copied that idea with the S7, and a few other Samsung/Apple handsets since.

I assume the OP was told about edge being gone. It also seems the Note 8 didn't get the annual upgrade option from Verizon, I think only the Galaxy S qualifies.

No it wasn't the edge up program I asked them about, I put it in parentheses on my OP because I don't know what they call it. I specifically asked about the 50% paid before being able to upgrade from the Note 8 and I was told they're not offering it anymore. Verizon seems to love to go from offering that program to not every few months. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with that. You can pay off your phones for an early upgrade, but you can only upgrade one phone. The "free" phone must complete its contract 24-30 month installments. Even though you paid the phones off, they will bill you the installment amount each month, reimburse you that amount the next month and so on till the end of your contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34