No visual voice mail on unlocked?

MTHall720

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I was told today that if I buy any unlocked new phone from any vendor, including Best Buy I would never be able to have visual voice mail again. I was told the only vm I would have ever would be a dial up number to retrieve vm. Is this total BS, which I hope it is, or is it true??
Thanks much for any insights.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if never, but technically it is correct. Visual Voicemail is carrier-dependent and unless the carrier provides a separate app for it, you wouldn't be able to get it unless bundled with their OS modifications on a carrier-branded phone.

You should have access to 'normal' voicemail, however, just not the visual aspect of it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup. The phone would do it for you, but yeah, it basically calls your voicemail number and you'd handle things from there, on a call. The usual 'you have 5 new messages. press whatever to play or press whatever to delete message' voice prompts.

MTHall720

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I really appreciate this. At my local AT&T store, and even online, they don't have either of the two phones I am most interested in, which are Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra or the LG V20.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a bummer, but yeah, comes with the territory when it comes to unlocked phone. Plus side, you'll get OTA updates (usually) faster than carrier-branded ones, and you won't be slowed down/tracked by carrier bloatware

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If that's the case then there IS an ATT app for it. I know Verizon has it as a separate app, just wasn't sure about ATT.

jgreg02

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I was told today that if I buy any unlocked new phone from any vendor, including Best Buy I would never be able to have visual voice mail again. I was told the only vm I would have ever would be a dial up number to retrieve vm. Is this total BS, which I hope it is, or is it true??
Thanks much for any insights.

I have visual vm on my carrier unlocked BlackBerry PRIV that is AT&T branded. Also enhanced LTE. On AT&T for decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech