QUESTIONS About AT&T Next/phone damage

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Hello! I've had the same Nokia 1520 for years, but I'm in desperate need to upgrade to a new Samsung S8+/S9+. But as I have never used AT&T Next before, I have some questions:

1. With my current phone, I pay 8.99 a month for mobile protection insurance should something happen to the phone. Will that same plan (or something similar) be compatible with a phone I'm purchasing via AT&T next?

2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then if my phone is damaged or malfunctions, do I just have to cough up the remaining amount of the entire phone, or are there resources available to replace/repair the phone?

3. Are issues like these why AT&T is/was offering a BOGO offer for phones like these - so if the first one breaks, you have a backup? Or did you need to have a separate plan for the second phone or something?

4. Is the BOGO promotion (or anything else for current customers) still available?

Thanks in advance for any help!

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a few phones on my account that are on the NEXT program and I do have ATT mobile protection insurance on one of them.

I did crack the front glass on a phone which I didn't have insurance, so I had a local repair shop fix it before I traded it in under the NEXT program.

So far as BOGO, I believe you must have both phones on active ATT lines.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
BOGO is to get you to pay for a second line (give your child a cellphone, or move your spouse from another carrier). They make their money on the account, not on the phone.

The protection plan is similar, but costs about $10/month now, and the copay for an S8 or S9 is probably about $150 (if you break the phone - it's covered by warranty if it breaks - and the AT&T Device Support Center can sometimes fix problems while you wait).