How to flash AT&T firmware on a Verizon phone?

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I get it that all Samsung Galaxy S8+ phones are the same, hardware-wise, whether they come from Verizon or AT&T but I have the Verizon model I want to flash to AT&T.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I get it that all Samsung Galaxy S8+ phones are the same
Well, that's one problem right there - they're not. There are at least 13 different variants. AT&T and Verizon models have different hardware, different radios, different motherboards.

The problem you're going to have is that your Verizon phones have CDMA circuitry, but AT&T phones need GSM circuitry.

Also AT&T phones have bands 1, 12, and 30 (and Verizon phones don't). (And Verizon phones have bands 13 and 26 and AT&T phones don't.)

So you can try (flashing a Samsung phone is easy - use Odin), but don't be surprised if you can never get it to connect to a PC again to correct your mistake (and if it never works again).

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I see. I think I will trade my S8+ Verizon for an AT&T phone that I know will work for over there, in a country where there is only GSM, or mostly so.

VARK8D Poke

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
Well, that's one problem right there - they're not. There are at least 13 different variants. AT&T and Verizon models have different hardware, different radios, different motherboards.

The problem you're going to have is that your Verizon phones have CDMA circuitry, but AT&T phones need GSM circuitry.

DUDE!
WHAT are you talking about??!

They ARE all the SAME! The ONLY difference is the SOFTWARE (Firmware)!

Yes, ATT and VZW use different frequency bands (and, yes, CDMA vs GSM) BUT ever since both the Galaxy S7 + S7 Edge (including both the S8 and S8+) the phones are ALL built physically IDENTICAL.

ALL S8 in the USA have model number G950U, regardless of carrier. Just like ALL S8+ in USA have model number G955U.

They ALL have the SAME capabilities built-in. The VZW, SPRINT, T-Mobile, and ATT versions are all made with 100% identical hardware.

You only need to use ODIN to flash a different carrier firmware if you want to take advantage of carrier-specific features such as VOLTE, Visual Voicemail, etc.

Plz do your research before misleading ppl and providing wildly inaccurate information.

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
DUDE!
WHAT are you talking about??!

They ARE all the SAME! The ONLY difference is the SOFTWARE (Firmware)!

Yes, ATT and VZW use different frequency bands (and, yes, CDMA vs GSM) BUT ever since both the Galaxy S7 + S7 Edge (including both the S8 and S8+) the phones are ALL built physically IDENTICAL.
Not quite so with the S7, S7 Edge. I have an unlocked T-Mobile S7 Edge and a factory unlocked S7 Edge. Only the factory unlocked S7 Edge will work with Verizon and I have verified this personally. The T-Mobile unlocked S7 Edge would not get s signal at all.

For the OP, the Verizon phone will work perfectly with the AT&T firmware flashed onto it with AT&T service.