Hey guys.

I'm a medical student (heading into 3rd year) looking to get my first smartphone. I've been scouring the web trying to decide which one to go with and I still can't make a clear decision. I'm not crazy about Apple (or the fact that the 32GB iphone 4 costs $300) but everyone around me is telling me to just go ahead and get it. I'm trying to decide if any of the droid phones (mainly looking at the Atrix, Inspire, and Infuse) would be a good buy. Here's what I'm looking for:

Apps: I want to be able to use medical apps and it seems like Android just hasn't caught up to Apple there. On the other hand, it seems like the major ones are available for droid so it might not be an issue for me, because I'm still a student. Are there any medical students/doctors here who can weigh in on this?

Battery life: I'm really concerned about this, because I don't have time to charge my phone throughout the day. Especially in the case of the Inspire, which seems to have the worst battery, I think that might be a deal breaker. However, as I understand it, you can cut down on the bloat and increase battery life by rooting or other things that you can't do on the iPhone. I'm not afraid to do a little rooting/customization, but I don't want to have to do anything too complicated or risk messing up the phone. From what I read it appears that the Inspire and the Atrix are hard to root?

Other stuff: I don't really care about how many megapixels the camera has or whether there is a front facing camera. I do a lot of texting and email checking, and not a lot of talking. I don't foresee myself playing music or watching feature length movies on the phone, but I will play casual games on it and watch videos on it. I will need to be able to manage a calendar and keep track of meetings and patients. I like that I can increase the storage on the droids. I REALLY like that the droids are all on sale through Amazon for rock bottom prices, but is the price enough compensation for other flaws? I guess I just really don't know how the specifics will really affect me. I've read that the Atrix is "ruined" by Motoblur, but I don't know why. I've read that some phones will get Gingerbread and some won't, and I don't know how much of a difference it makes. I've read that even better phones are coming out, but no one knows when and I'm don't think I can hold off another 3 or 4 months. Would a droid work for me or do I need to break down and get the iPhone?
    06-26-2011 12:25 PM
    Well if you worried about battery life, I'm gonna say go with with atrix.
    06-26-2011 02:22 PM
    Sorry but I have to say if I was a medical student I would go with an Iphone, there are many more high quality medical apps on IOS then Android
    07-06-2011 09:30 AM
    Also invest in an IPAD, there are some amazing apps optimized for IPAD. My budy is 4th year Vascular Surgeon Resident, he had been using an Iphone since his med school graduation when they came out, and bough an IPAD when the first one came out.

He said just the RX Reference & Interaction apps have been a huge time saver for him, having the whole formulary has also saved him a lot of time. I recommend waiting for the new Iphone release in Sept/Oct and buying an IPAD 2 now. But the 3g version so you can have access anywhere, unless your school has good Wi Fi.
    07-06-2011 09:35 AM