Remote Desktop access app

markwelch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to identify a Remote Desktop app that will work for me (on an Acer Iconia Tab A200 10.1-inch tablet).

I tried using TeamViewer, although the $749 price tag certainly is absurd, and discovered a bug which their tech support acknowledged (their taskbar, which can't be hidden, obscures the bottom of the remote desktop screen, thus preventing access to the Windows taskbar on the desktop).

I just bought Splashtop Remote Desktop, but after purchase I learned that it requires that the desktop PC have a static IP address. Surprise!

I'm really not looking forward to buying a dozen apps before I find one that actually works.

Any suggestions? Please be specific, and don't just say, "I like XYZ, try that!" since that's what the app-store already tells me. (Why does Google allow companies to include "#1 app for ..." in their product titles, when it's not true?)

markwelch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. LogMeIn might be an option, but there are lots of complaints about the product not working after being upgraded for use with 3.0, and my device has Android 4.0; I can't find any mention of the product working with Android 4.0.

It's also clear that the company charges additional fees to be able to use certain features (they mention remote audio as one). It turns out that they have the same $10/month cost as GoToMyPC (which doesn't charge $30 for its Android app).

Their web site also imposes "forced audio" when I visit it -- quite unprofessional and annoying.

markwelch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
After learning that I could avoid the need for an IP address if I logged in to a Google account, I went ahead and bought Splashtop Remote Desktop, and installed their companion "Streamer" software on my desktop.

Surprise! The Streamer software will ONLY log in using a google (gmail, etc) email address. OK, I thought; I'll go ahead and create a new gmail account just for this.

Surprise! Now Streamer can log in, but I can't connect because the Splashtop Android App just grabs the email address from the tablet (I can't find any way to change this), and Google won't let me link the new gmail address to an existing Google account. (Google is offering to let me create a new gmail address that uses a silly "handle" I used many years ago, but if I do so, it won't let me log in with my regular email address any more, and presumably I'd then be required to check gmail for any communications from Google.)

And Streamer says that my desktop PC's IP address is 192.168.x.x which means that I can only access my desktop while logged in to the local network at my home, not from anywhere else.

What a colossal waste of time!

tennvol

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Not sure why people pay money for this. Any sort of vnc and vnc viewer work, and they are free

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ehall1957

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I am using Logme in with ICS without problems though it also worked fine with Honeycomb. I installed the free version on my pc's and don't need to sound so it is not a problem for me.

ehall1957

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
After learning that I could avoid the need for an IP address if I logged in to a Google account, I went ahead and bought Splashtop Remote Desktop, and installed their companion "Streamer" software on my desktop.

Surprise! The Streamer software will ONLY log in using a google (gmail, etc) email address. OK, I thought; I'll go ahead and create a new gmail account just for this.

Surprise! Now Streamer can log in, but I can't connect because the Splashtop Android App just grabs the email address from the tablet (I can't find any way to change this), and Google won't let me link the new gmail address to an existing Google account. (Google is offering to let me create a new gmail address that uses a silly "handle" I used many years ago, but if I do so, it won't let me log in with my regular email address any more, and presumably I'd then be required to check gmail for any communications from Google.)

And Streamer says that my desktop PC's IP address is 192.168.x.x which means that I can only access my desktop while logged in to the local network at my home, not from anywhere else.

ehall1957

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
the newer version of this has an option in the tablet settings called internet discovery to allow access over the internet. i think logmein is still better at this time.

dmtoler

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I am using PocketCloud free version on a Motorola Xoom tablet. It requires a google email account.This app works well for me. I even been able to access a remote desktop application on my desktop computer to access a client's database program from my tablet. My desktop is running WinXP Home Edition so it uses VNC to make the connection. The free version allows you to connect to one computer and the paid version allows you to connect to multiple computers

aliasgarbabat

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Try using gosupportnow.com. It is easy to use, costs only $19.95 / month and provides guaranteed remote connection, through is unique patented technology.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Why would you use a different gmail use the one you used for your tab

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems using Splashtop's Remote Desktop while using it for my Transformer when I was at a hotel a few times. :D

Ya, I have been using Splashtop remote and have been very happy with it. I have also used Go to my PC and I think this works better. It's pretty cheap at $4.95. Give the trial a go.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

You need to install the paid app of Splashtop onto your tablet and give it access to run outside of your same network. This is how they let you try it out. Once you pay for this it will work fine.

Corey Bryant

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I also use SpalshtopHD and I have been very happy with it. I bought it, watched my firewall while connecting, approved the connection and did not have an issue.

I also then tethered from my Windows HTC Radar to see if it worked and it did.

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I use Team viewer all the time and it does not cost anything for personal use... You just have to deal with the annoying pop up box on the remote machine after u disconnect...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums

Kangy

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've tried splashtop, teamviewer, gotomypc, and logmein. I have always used the free logmein on my office/home/laptop but didn't want to pony up the $30 for the app so I tested the alternatives. teamviewer was slow and annoying to use, splashtop would not blank the remote desktop (essential for me), and gotomypc I did not like the interface. All in all I went back to logmein ignition for the android, I don't need the sound and other pro features so it's a onetime charge and works great. I use it on ICS and Jellybean and have no issues at all. Open app, chose computer, enter password, and I'm connected with a blanked remote screen. The built in keyboard is also a lifesaver. I use a ssh program for work that requires shift and function keys, I could not for the life of me find a suitable app for the android that worked with what I needed so I use logmein to connect to the office pc and control it that way. You can shift lock and use the flyout function commands.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Splashtop 2 doesn't require a static IP. It's not bad overall.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Ericasimpson

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Using remote desktop access application one can access a laptop or desktop from any part of the world. This is one of the best application that is offered by android. Below listed are the names of few remote desktop access applications....

(1) android-vnc-viewer.
(2) Xtralogic remote desktop application
(3) Flash remote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12