Streaming audio/Video from my pc to nexus7 tablet

pmjxyz2001

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My Brother has an Ipad and he uses the apps "Air Video" to stream music and video from pc to Ipad.

I have ordered my Nexus 7 (8 GB) tablet and hopefully get it within a week.

What I want to know is, which is the best Android apps similar to "Air Video" so that I can listen/watch content from my pc on the new nexus tablet. I don't mind buying a paid apps as I can use the $25 coupon which I will be getting from Google.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My tablet came with an app called MyNet that picks up the shared movies off of my main pc like a champ. All my android devices, my xbox 360, bluray player and laptops all pick up the movies fine without proprietary software/hardware.

This is served off of a windows 7 pc.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
See if smartshare is on the nexus, i have it on my G2X android phone and it does the same thing. If not click all the apps you didn't install until you find one that does it, i have a hard time imagining there isn't an app for it. All my buddies with android all have something.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Chan Marshall

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have ( or manage to pick up ) a Synology NAS they have an android app to stream any content on your network or NAS directly to your device. This is with the DS audio app.

Photos and videos are shared in the DS Photo Android app.

Pretty schmick. Also if you have an AVR you can stream content from it to your phone or tablet with the various manufacturers android apps.

I control all music playback from my phone through my receiver ( which has no wifi ) simply as it is part of a network attached to a wireless router. I play back all my music on my PC and can stream music from my phone to my AVR as well.

O:)

ravenas

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Another nod for Plex. I used to use StreamToMe/ServeToMe to get media from my PC to iOS devices. Then I switched over to Plex Media Server. With Plex I can stream to ALL my devices regardless if they are Android or iOS. Even my Roku handles it just fine.

Setup is not hard at all. I run it on my 17" 2.2ghz laptop indexing a 3TB external HDD. That way when I travel or otherwise have to relocate, I can take my media server with me. (Helps if you have limited internet access at your travel locale. Otherwise you can open a port to your server for internet accessibility.)

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you looking to stream over the internet, or while you are on the same home network?

If you are just viewing while at home, ES File Manager works very well. I have a 1TB NAS drive with folders for videos and music. ES File Manager has a LAN tab that I linked to those folders. The app even has its own media player. I watch videos streamed directly from the NAS drive (no PC involves) on my tablet using this setup and it works very well.

Onewizavu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thats great, Xopher. I have a QNAP NAS and a Nexus 7 with ES File Manager. But when I tap on thumbnails, they take some 5-10 secs to load to full screen. I think this is because these pictures are 2MB each in size and Nexus 7 is not powerful enough to process high-res images that quickly, since: a) Pictures that are 69KB in size take a sec to load on Nexus 7 and b) Those 2MB pictures I mentioned earlier take a fraction of a second to load when I use my PS3. Can anyone say what the lag would be on a Nexus 10? Would this be simply because of a higher power GPU, more RAM, etc than the Nexus 7?

ARVIND SINGH6

May 28, 2015
Visit site
share the folder on the PC containing media
Install ES File Explorer from playstore and Map your PC in the LAN section in the app.
Install MX Player also on Nexus to play the media.
No need to buy any paid app or software

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995