Why don't apps have an Exit command

docroc67

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
As a recent Nexus 7 user who still does most of his work in the desktop world, I'm puzzled by the weird fact that most Android apps I use don't have a clear way to shut them down. One can go to Settings...Apps...Force STOP, but this seems equivalent to using WIndows Task Manager to stop a program that won't close; there are possible consequences such as buffers not being written out.

Don't all those apps sitting there open take system resources? And, if so, why don't all apps have a clear EXIT option built in?

Thanks to anyone for answering this.
Dave

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Because it isn't required. If you want to close your apps, simply go to the home screen, then press and hold the Home button, then hit the Trash Can to close all of them, or swipe away the ones you don't want.

docroc67

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Because it isn't required.

So does your answer mean that the open apps don't use system resources?

I guess I'll get used to it, but it seems a little like:

Question: "Why doesn't my automatic transmission have a PARK button?"
Answer: "Because it isn't required; just drive until you hit something and the car will stop on its own."

Last edited:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
That's not how android works. Things are meant to run in the background and they're only killed when there's no room for it. An exit button is strongly discouraged by android developers. If you really want to exit completely, hit recent apps and swipe the app you were in away.

Sent from my Nexus 7

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
As a recent Nexus 7 user who still does most of his work in the desktop world, I'm puzzled by the weird fact that most Android apps I use don't have a clear way to shut them down. One can go to Settings...Apps...Force STOP, but this seems equivalent to using WIndows Task Manager to stop a program that won't close; there are possible consequences such as buffers not being written out.

Don't all those apps sitting there open take system resources? And, if so, why don't all apps have a clear EXIT option built in?

Thanks to anyone for answering this.
Dave

I've always wondered about this as well on my Thunderbolt? The only efficient way I have found to clearly close them out and refresh the phone has been to 'restart' the phone.....

Sent from my Thunderbolt. Hoping to be a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800