Apps and Privacy

this_is me

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I apologize if this was posted before, I searched and did not find a similar thread. I have my tablet set to not update automatically. I like to see what is being put on my tablet.

My question is, what is up with Apps and breaching privacy, like allowing Pandora and YouTube to randomly turn on your camera?!? More likely they just mentioning this stuff to cover themselves in case they need to utilize their breach in privacy as in a criminal case... like when the Feds need to step in or something. But still, creepy.

Here is a sample of some updates pending on my tablet:

For Magic Puzzles, a "Your social information" update... and I quote:

"Read your contacts... Allows the App to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows Apps to save your contact data, and malicious Apps may share contacts without your knowledge."

For Pandora under "Your personal information":

"Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge. Allows the App to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the App to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge."

For Google+ and YouTube "Camera":

"Take pictures and videos. Allows the App to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the App to use the camera at any time without your confirmation."

Why does Pandora or Magic Puzzles need this info? And Google+ ! Sure, I doubt that will happen to me, but still... they mean to tell me they can randomly turn on my camera without my knowledge?!

I don't use the Google calendar. It outright tells you under "Your personal information":

"Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without the owners' knowledge. Allows the App to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the App to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge. Read calendar events plus confidential information. Allows the App to read all calendar events stored on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the App to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity."

I read online how people are not using the tablet's calendar for the reasons I just mentioned. One reviewer for the tablet on a known site (I forgot which one it was, it wasn't CNET) mentioned how they were not using the default calendar because they really did not want Google to know when they had a doctor appointment.

More and more, in order to utilize ease with technology, it feels like you are selling your soul in exchange.

And on a side note, why does YouTube, of all things, need to run at start up and run in the background slowing down start up and your tablet. Google Mail also has this in their latest update.

Am I just being a tad hysterical?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I apologize if this was posted before, I searched and did not find a similar thread. I have my tablet set to not update automatically. I like to see what is being put on my tablet.

My question is, what is up with Apps and breaching privacy, like allowing Pandora and YouTube to randomly turn on your camera?!? More likely they just mentioning this stuff to cover themselves in case they need to utilize their breach in privacy as in a criminal case... like when the Feds need to step in or something. But still, creepy.

Here is a sample of some updates pending on my tablet:

For Magic Puzzles, a "Your social information" update... and I quote:

"Read your contacts... Allows the App to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows Apps to save your contact data, and malicious Apps may share contacts without your knowledge."

For Pandora under "Your personal information":

"Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge. Allows the App to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the App to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge."

For Google+ and YouTube "Camera":

"Take pictures and videos. Allows the App to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the App to use the camera at any time without your confirmation."

Why does Pandora or Magic Puzzles need this info? And Google+ ! Sure, I doubt that will happen to me, but still... they mean to tell me they can randomly turn on my camera without my knowledge?!

I don't use the Google calendar. It outright tells you under "Your personal information":

"Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without the owners' knowledge. Allows the App to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the App to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge. Read calendar events plus confidential information. Allows the App to read all calendar events stored on your tablet, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the App to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity."

I read online how people are not using the tablet's calendar for the reasons I just mentioned. One reviewer for the tablet on a known site (I forgot which one it was, it wasn't CNET) mentioned how they were not using the default calendar because they really did not want Google to know when they had a doctor appointment.

More and more, in order to utilize ease with technology, it feels like you are selling your soul in exchange.

And on a side note, why does YouTube, of all things, need to run at start up and run in the background slowing down start up and your tablet. Google Mail also has this in their latest update.

Am I just being a tad hysterical?

Wow. You have some valid concerns. I rarely read the permissions. Maybe someone will be able to address some of this... there are A LOT of knowledgeable people on this forum.

this_is me

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Wow. You have some valid concerns. I rarely read the permissions. Maybe someone will be able to address some of this... there are A LOT of knowledgeable people on this forum.

I know, it's weird isn't it? I gather many people have their devices to update automatically and never see the details.

I also think that these types of updates are common for Apple and other Android devices; it's just that they are obligated to disclose everything, which is understandable. It still doesn't make it right, but then again there is the argument of "well, don't bother then if it irks you so much". True, but as I mentioned, in this day and age if you want to utilize anything you have to play their game.

this_is me

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, but I already know what they are doing and invasive Apps that I can do without, I do without. But honestly, I like to have YouTube, for example. Unfortunately Google Apps like Google Search and Google+ control your camera without your knowledge and Google Play Movies and TV, which I do not use, run at start up and in the background. Regardless, Apps that are intrinsic to the Google tablet. All in all, don't get me wrong, I love my tablet, I just find this off putting and I do not use Google Apps such as Search, Books, Music, Movies, Magazines, Earth, Maps.

There is an App where you can pick parts of an update you care to update. Permission Manager https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...FpbC5wZXJtaXNzaW9ubWFuYWdlciJd&token=bEslZrpq

I am reluctant to use it and screw anything up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci