How do I set a default video player?

gatraveler

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to play a .mov file on my Dell Venue 8 using google 4.2.2. Neither the installed video player, nor the installed ?photos? app will play this file. I have installed ?HD Player? which does play it. My problem is if I select the .mov file using ?Quick Pic? I get a screen that says select either ?video player?, ?photos? or ?Quick Pic?. None of those will work. I have checked the settings and reset all preferences as described in some previous posts but I cannot see how to set a default on the application because the ?launch by default? section in settings says ?no defaults set? and the ?clear defaults? button is greyed out.

Also, I disabled the google gallery. That caused the ?video player? to disappear from the popup window, but now only ?photos? and ?QuickPic? appear.

How can I either get ?HD Player? to show in my allowed selections, or change it to the default video player?

Thanks

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Normally, when you launch a video and you don't have a default selected, the screen you're seeing with "video player", "photos", "Quick Pic" should also include "HD Player", and then you would choose one to be your default player by clicking "Always". I'm not sure why HD Player isn't showing up. I use MX Player and BS Player on my tablet. They work great and have always shown up as options. I'm not familiar with HD Player, but if you tell me which one you're using, I'll load it up and see what I can find out. In the store, I see 3 HD Video Players by 3 different devs (October31 inc, turtlerun, HK HD Screen Corp).

gatraveler

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm using
HD Video Player Free, October 31 inc, - December 9, 2012, Media & Video
but there's nothing magic about that app. I just picked the 1st one that looked like it would serve my purpose.

I'll install
BSPlayer FREE, BSPlayer media, , December 23, 2013, Media & Video
tonight or tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried that app on my tablet, and it doesn't show up for me either. It does say that it's designed for phones, so maybe that's why. However, I know BS player will work for you.

Sent from my Asus TF1000000T

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Typically, VLC does a good job with Apple CODECs, and just about any other CODEC out there..... As for setting a file type to be opened by an app by default, from the file manager, use the context menu with a long press a file of the desired file type, and use the context menu. If your file manager just "highlights" your faile or makes a checkbox list with a tick on your file, use the "triple dot" context menu caller. (if your file manager doesn't work for this, try using ES File Explorer)

gatraveler

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I installed BS Player. It showed in the drop-down window when I selected the .mov file from QuickPic. I selected "always" and it's now working the way I wanted.

You also taught me something else; that is, I may have to install several apps to find the one I like. I'm not used to installing an app then deleting it and installing another one. That's good to know.

Thanks for the help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995