Poweramp constantly crashing

Gomtu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I got Poweramp today, installed it on my new Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-850 running Kitkat 4.4.4 and for a while it was working great. It had features I really wanted, so I bought it. Not long afterward it started crashing constantly, with every little thing I tried to do with it. Change song, crash, look at folders, crash, go to settings, crash, etc, etc....

There are a lot of great reviews of this app, people saying they've been happy with it for years, but I'm not having a good experience with it at all. I restarted my tablet, and it just keeps crashing. My tablet is not rooted. What might be the issue here? I registered with their forum, but they will not allow me to post... I'm not very happy with these people so far....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Apps, select PowerAmp, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again.

Gomtu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Apps, select PowerAmp, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again.

Okay, I went into the settings for Poweramp, cleared the cache, then went to clear the data, it's saying "All this app's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, setting, accounts, databases, etc." Sounds like it's going to delete everything the app needs to work!

Do I really want to do that? Is it going to delete my music too? I wrote them, and they go into this spiel about play/non-play versions. Why would I buy a version that can't be played? Why would they make one? Who would buy one? What would be the point of a version you can't play?

Also, I paid them for the app to be unlocked, but I cannot tell if it actually is unlocked, and they tell me about some "restore purchase" deal that wants another $3.99 from me, when I already paid for it on their website. I'm really confused here, and becoming quite frustrated with this app.

later that same day...

I cleared the data, now it's acting like I didn't buy it already, telling me it's a trial version and will expire in two weeks.... This is not going well at all.... and it still crashes every time I try to play a song. I can't use it at all.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
"Play vs non-Play" I think refers to whether or not you installed it from Google Play Store. What did they say about non-Play versions?

Clearing Data will clear out account information--but you should be able to log back in with your account information (if there is an option to log in with an account). And if you purchased the full version of Poweramp, it should recognize you. Did you purchase and install the Poweramp Full Version Unlocker? Try uninstalling both Poweramp and the Unlocker, then reinstall them.

Gomtu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I paid for Poweramp on their website, but downloaded it somewhere else. So I guess it's a non-play version. Glad you explained that to me. I did not buy the full version unlocker on GooglePlay. From within the app I was able to send them a message about the issues I am having with the app, and they emailed me back saying thanks for telling us, we'll get back to you.

I've reinstalled WinAmp....

Why did they have to make this so hard? Why could they not have just emailed me a software key to put into the app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, I install apps from Google Play Store or Amazon Appstore only. Manually installing an app outside of well-regulated stores like that can lead to issues like the one you're facing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you should still be able to work it out with the PowerAmp devs directly. If you have a record of your purchase, they ought to be able to reactivate it. Any word back from them?

Gomtu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
The last thing I heard from them they asked what happens when I use the app. I told them:

I start the app, go to library, choose playlists, select a song, and instead of it playing I get the message "Unfortunately Poweramp has stopped." This happens constantly, and unpredictably. Sometimes it will play a song, but the next action with buttons or menus crashes it.

I've not heard back from them since telling them that.

I really like the features of this app, but it's been a quite trying experience for me so far, and I just wish it would work. It actually did work at first, before I paid for it, then all the trouble started.

Gomtu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
After paying for this app and spending far too much time grappling with it and trying to get it to work without crashing I've called it quits. I've spent more time than it's worth to me just trying to get it to work without crashing constantly. The last thing I tried was a clean re-install from GooglePlay, and it went badly.

I have Jam Plus stereo speakers paired with my Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-850 tablet running Kitkat 4.4.4 and it would not do stereo at all. Also, it sounded terrible, skipping and with static, fading out and jumping. It's really pretty bad, and I just have to give up on this. I'm cutting my losses as an unhappy and unsatisfied customer of Poweramp.

Gomtu

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I looked at both of those players online, and for me the interfaces are a bit too busy. I went back to simple and plain Winamp. It works and doesn't crash on me.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I looked at both of those players online, and for me the interfaces are a bit too busy. I went back to simple and plain Winamp. It works and doesn't crash on me.

To bad about power amp I have used it for awhile. Great sound with the equalizer.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton