This idea sounds pretty crazy but still it was accomplished and the app is currently available in Goolge Play store.

We created a file manager app with desktop interface - some kind of Windows for Android. It is a real desktop environment - icons, windows, drag & drop, etc. Here is a Google Play link.

File management is deeply integrated into all modern desktop environments because file is a fundamental block of the computer data management. This is why "WinCommander" was implemented as a file manager. It is unusual to run desktop environment by an app, not by an operating system. However, such approach makes it possible to get desktop environment installed on device in minutes by simple app download from the Google Play store, without the need to make heavy and complex modifications to the device - such as installation of new operating system. There is no performance cost for in-app approach of running sophisticated desktop environment: "WinCommander" runs as smoothly as operating system's own user interface.

Windows for Android - file manager with desktop interface-screenshot1.jpg

Windows for Android - file manager with desktop interface-screenshot2.jpg

Windows for Android - file manager with desktop interface-screenshot3.jpg
    02-03-2018 02:25 PM
    Well, I have to say - it certainly looks interesting!

I wish I had a suitable tablet to test it out on as I would really like to see this in action.
    02-03-2018 03:13 PM
    "WinCommander" got featured in Upcoming section on ProductHunt.com!
    02-07-2018 07:23 AM
    App "WinCommander" is now free permanently. Here is a Google Play link.
    02-10-2018 06:06 PM
    We've asked opinion of several users who tried the app and the feedback is outstanding. Many users see this app is a huge step towards next-generation Android for tablets, providing what many users are striving for so long: desktop experience on Android tablets.

An ability to put files directly on desktop surface, file operations by drap-and-drop between two windows or window/desktop surface and many other features are coming directly for the Desktop World.

Both iOS and Android user interface still make tablets look like just an oversized smartphone. App "WinCommander" is designed to change it. Tablet is much more that just an enlarged version of smartphone.

Here is a Google Play link.
    03-10-2018 12:43 PM