would it be possible to build an eclipse IDE for a tablet so you could build like mini-programs or scripts for tablets. I know it wouldn't be useful to build whole programs since typing would be a pain, but it would be pretty useful for, say, a computer science major.
    06-05-2011 08:41 PM
    I'd love to see Eclipse on Honeycomb. It's written in Java so it, at least at some level, should be portable to Android.

The problem is the lack of a scripting host within the OS. Dalvik is compile bytecode from Java sources. The OS does not provide a scripting interpreter for higher level work, though. There's Jython, a version of Python that runs within the Java virtual machine. But, again, Android doesn't use or provide the JVM. It instead runs on compiled code.
    06-15-2011 08:45 AM
    I've always wanted something like this too.

There's an app I just found a couple days ago called "Touchqode" that seems like it might be nice for quick coding on the go.

Has syntax highlighting at least - though I have yet to give it much of a run through so I have no idea how good it is.
    06-15-2011 09:10 AM
    Well now...just forget almost everything I said in my post! When I looked up Touchqode I also found links to "Scripting Layer 4 Android" (SL4A). It's a multi-language scripting host for Android devices. Some of the scripting languages it supports are Python, Lua, and Perl.

A guy here at work installed it and quickly wrote a script that will detect when his phone is within range of our work WiFi network and disable his phone's ringer. When the phone no longer sees that WiFi network SSID it re-enables the ringer.
    06-16-2011 04:30 PM