GPS Constantly Searching and Lagging out S4 since KitKat 4.4.2 Update

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing this? It's constantly searching for a signal, and in doing so is lagging out the phone to the point where I can't use it
and am forced to shut of GPS. I have never had an issue with GPS until this update.
I also had to use GPS shortly after the update so I turned it on for Navigation purposes. I noticed that when I got back in my truck my phone was 100% dead. Off, no power, nothing I could
do to turn it back on, finally did a battery pull and it worked. I am guessing it's caused again by the GPS because I have turned if off and left it off since then, and it's been fine.

Anyone else having this issue? Someone on AT&T posted the same issue. So at least I am not the only one, or only carrier.

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I am also with Telus & am/was having the same issues... I think i found a (temporary?) fix for mine. It seems the GPS issue was due to the "Transparent Clock & Weather" widget making it go crazy.. i deleted it & re-installed it. You'll need to set your own location. That should solve the GPS issue.

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Did that fix anything for you??

Also I'm using the S-View cover...and before the update, if u pressed the home screen the info in the window would appear..now the home screen button does nothing.

Last edited:

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Did that fix anything for you??

Also I'm using the S-View cover...and before the update, if u pressed the home screen the info in the window would appear..now the home screen button does nothing.

Hmmm I do use Transparent weather. Shoudln't have to reinstall, should be fine if I just stop it from auto location. Going to try now.
As for your home button, mine works fine? That's odd

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I am also with Telus & am/was having the same issues... I think i found a (temporary?) fix for mine. It seems the GPS issue was due to the "Transparent Clock & Weather" widget making it go crazy.. i deleted it & re-installed it. You'll need to set your own location. That should solve the GPS issue.

Looks like it did the job. I didn't have to reinstall it though, just turned off GPS Location. And it was fine. It can't still find my location without GPS so I am all good, could care less if it doesn't use GPS!
Thanks Ricard! Sometimes things are so simple I should have noticed this!

rugmankc

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a semi old thread, but Richard's suggestion worked for me too. Tried different roms and radios, no luck. Didn't want to reformat my cards.

Funny as I have used the clock for quite awhile and had checked GPS. Maybe something changed.

Thanks again, saved me further grief today--:)

Ken

Cristina Rogel

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a semi old thread, but Richard's suggestion worked for me too. Tried different roms and radios, no luck. Didn't want to reformat my cards.

Funny as I have used the clock for quite awhile and had checked GPS. Maybe something changed.

Thanks again, saved me further grief today--:)

Ken

how do i delete Transparent Clock & Weather" widget*? i don't see it

SimplySweetness

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Rebooting an old thread again but I have been noticing this over the last few days. I don't have the Transparent Clock app. I used "Weather & Clock Widget" that I uninstalled and GPS it was still searching. I also disabled the stock weather widget since it was high battery usage, but i'm not running it. My location reporting is all set to off. All the apps that were under my "recent location requests" have been disabled or uninstalled. Specifically Coupons, Croupon, Foursquare, Ibotta, Facebook, PayPal and Swarm.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting an old thread again but I have been noticing this over the last few days. I don't have the Transparent Clock app. I used "Weather & Clock Widget" that I uninstalled and GPS it was still searching. I also disabled the stock weather widget since it was high battery usage, but i'm not running it. My location reporting is all set to off. All the apps that were under my "recent location requests" have been disabled or uninstalled. Specifically Coupons, Croupon, Foursquare, Ibotta, Facebook, PayPal and Swarm.

Is it searching to the point of Lagging out your phone? Or are you just seeing it flashing from time to time in the top left of your screen?

SimplySweetness

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Is it searching to the point of Lagging out your phone? Or are you just seeing it flashing from time to time in the top left of your screen?
Oh no, it was absolutely lagging my phone and killing battery. It was running for a good hour straight before I factory reset my phone.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh no, it was absolutely lagging my phone and killing battery. It was running for a good hour straight before I factory reset my phone.

All is good now after the factory reset? It had to be a 3rd party app, something that uses GPS for location. Have you re installed all your apps since your factory reset and is all still good?

hippyclay

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I experienced the exact same thing...GPS constantly hunting. I pulled down the notification bar and tapped on the GPS Locating line while it was visable. It took me to a screen that showed 2 apps that were using location services. 1 was Google play services, and 1 was Touch Tunes ( a mobile Juke box controller app), I stopped Google play services, and the GPS icon stayed in the notification area, so I restarted it and stopped the Touch Tunes app and the GPS icon disappeared. It's been 2 days now and I haven't seen the GPS icon back except the normal launching of facebook or weather channel app. By the way, I use the transparent clock/weather widget, but I don't have the option selected to 'follow me'. Hope this solves your issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36