12 hours with the MAXX

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
5th Ave VZW store in Flatiron refused to sell me at full retail until I played a few cards. Inventory is slim and it was clear they wanted to bet on a contract vs losing one to me. Ended up getting what I wanted, but it never ceases to amaze me that people with money get turned away at the door.

All the core productivity clients - People, Gmail, Calendar and Corporate mail are all "skinned". Gmail and Calendar are fortunately replaced easily by downloadable versions from the Play Store, although I had to disable the built-in calendar. People is more or less as close to stock as you can get. For a company like Motorola that clearly uses Exchange for their corporate mail infrastructure, it's clear they didn't eat their own dog food when it came to testing their skinned mail client.

The MAXX has the same frustrating bug that I had with other non-AOSP Exchange clients. If you read a message, and then immediately move it to a folder afterwards, the message read state doesn't always carry over and so an unread email shows up in the folder you just put the email in. If you're a 150-200 email a day person, this becomes a serious problem as I curate my inbox throughout the day. Having to go back to a desktop to reset things to be read is dumb. I can't believe this problem still exists.

Does not have me hopeful for the Moto X being any different.

The active notifications are OK... but if you have multiple notifications, I can't figure out how to access the other notifications -- it only lets you access the most recent one from what I can tell. Also frustrated to see that the active notifications go away after a while. This needs to be configurable. I lived by the perpetual blinking light from the Blackberry days to my SGS3 with CM10.2. Having to pick up my phone to see if there's new stuff is just as much of a wasted motion as just turning on the phone and looking for notifications. Somebody should fix this.

Otherwise, a lot to like. Was at around 65% after about 7 hours, but with about 3.5 hrs of screen time as things were getting set up and heavy heavy use of data as things were getting downloaded all over again. Tomorrow will be my first run-down. Screen is gorgeous... light years better than the SGS3, and very usable in varied lighting. Form factor compared to my SGS3 with the Qi battery door is identical in dimensions.

Root will fix some of the issues I'm sure. Don't have a particular need to flash ROMs otherwise, so the locked bootloader is sad but acceptable since Motorola largely left things alone. Just wish they left everything alone.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Active notifications don't go away ..it blinks every 5 seconds or so forever until you address or dismiss them.

Posted via Android Central App

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
5th Ave VZW store in Flatiron refused to sell me at full retail until I played a few cards. Inventory is slim and it was clear they wanted to bet on a contract vs losing one to me. Ended up getting what I wanted, but it never ceases to amaze me that people with money get turned away at the door.

All the core productivity clients - People, Gmail, Calendar and Corporate mail are all "skinned". Gmail and Calendar are fortunately replaced easily by downloadable versions from the Play Store, although I had to disable the built-in calendar. People is more or less as close to stock as you can get. For a company like Motorola that clearly uses Exchange for their corporate mail infrastructure, it's clear they didn't eat their own dog food when it came to testing their skinned mail client.

The MAXX has the same frustrating bug that I had with other non-AOSP Exchange clients. If you read a message, and then immediately move it to a folder afterwards, the message read state doesn't always carry over and so an unread email shows up in the folder you just put the email in. If you're a 150-200 email a day person, this becomes a serious problem as I curate my inbox throughout the day. Having to go back to a desktop to reset things to be read is dumb. I can't believe this problem still exists.

Does not have me hopeful for the Moto X being any different.

The active notifications are OK... but if you have multiple notifications, I can't figure out how to access the other notifications -- it only lets you access the most recent one from what I can tell. Also frustrated to see that the active notifications go away after a while. This needs to be configurable. I lived by the perpetual blinking light from the Blackberry days to my SGS3 with CM10.2. Having to pick up my phone to see if there's new stuff is just as much of a wasted motion as just turning on the phone and looking for notifications. Somebody should fix this.

Otherwise, a lot to like. Was at around 65% after about 7 hours, but with about 3.5 hrs of screen time as things were getting set up and heavy heavy use of data as things were getting downloaded all over again. Tomorrow will be my first run-down. Screen is gorgeous... light years better than the SGS3, and very usable in varied lighting. Form factor compared to my SGS3 with the Qi battery door is identical in dimensions.

Root will fix some of the issues I'm sure. Don't have a particular need to flash ROMs otherwise, so the locked bootloader is sad but acceptable since Motorola largely left things alone. Just wish they left everything alone.

What do you mean by gmail and calendar are skinned? Can you post screenshots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by gmail and calendar are skinned? Can you post screenshots.
If these are the only 2 apps you're worried about, it's a non-issue because you can download the Google version from the Play Store. New Gmail will overwrite stock gmail. Motorola Calendar you will have to disable and download Google Calendar from the Play Store. But yes, some of the stock productivity apps are definitely modified by Motorola.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Active notifications don't go away ..it blinks every 5 seconds or so forever until you address or dismiss them.
From what I can tell, the phone goes back into deep sleep mode after the notification runs for a while. I will have to pay closer attention to it today.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If these are the only 2 apps you're worried about, it's a non-issue because you can download the Google version from the Play Store. New Gmail will overwrite stock gmail. Motorola Calendar you will have to disable and download Google Calendar from the Play Store. But yes, some of the stock productivity apps are definitely modified by Motorola.

I'm curious of what you mean by skinned. All of the screenshots of apps like calendar I've seen are totally stock.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious of what you mean by skinned. All of the screenshots of apps like calendar I've seen are totally stock.
The icon is different for one. And there is some Motorola specific stuff that seems to be tied to On-device calendars that are not cloud based although I haven't looked very closely. It isn't significantly skinned like the Exchange email app, but it does not automatically get overridden by the Google version from the Play Store like Gmail does, which is a good indication to me that it's not stock. I had to disable native version. On an Nexus phone, the calendar would be properly overridden.

calendar.png

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ah okay, I understand what you mean now. Sounds like it has customizations to make it work with some of the phones features.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
The icon is different for one. And there is some Motorola specific stuff that seems to be tied to On-device calendars that are not cloud based although I haven't looked very closely. It isn't significantly skinned like the Exchange email app, but it does not automatically get overridden by the Google version from the Play Store like Gmail does, which is a good indication to me that it's not stock. I had to disable native version. On an Nexus phone, the calendar would be properly overridden.

http://www.leesoft.com/temp/calendar.png

I currently have the Droid Bionic and I went into a VZW store yesterday to take a look at the Maxx. The calendar app is the first thing that I noticed, it's the same one that's on the Bionic, and I ended up doing the same thing with downloading the real Google Calendar app. One of the main differences is that the Motorola calendar app doesn't have the ability to mark an event as private, which is a big thing (for me) when you're posting stuff to a work Exchange system.

If you have a chance, can you test something for me, when adding an event from my Bionic to my Exchange calendar it gets "converted" to a meeting request, like I'm a meeting organizer, is that still the same with the Maxx?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csample32