15th day on Moto Photon waiting on S2

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I got Moto Photon and very happy with it. Good battery life, screen and call quality best, even friends notice the difference. Getting used to size vs Pre - , MoPho to S2 no biggie.

Wanted S2 didn't think it would be out till Oct Nov so bought MoPho. I will go 16th look at S2 and make switch? Just got 3 batts, screen protectors, charger and case. Oh well, nice xmas gift to someone.

Can't pass on better bigger screen, lighter weight and thinner.

Any thoughts on my decision, please fire away.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I returned mine on Wed. last week as I only had till the 4th . I'm either going to pick up the GSII or my company will be switching me to ATT and I'll end up with the LG thrill or ATT's version of the GSII.

I would prefer to have the larger screen from sprint though. I do a lot of email and web use.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish my job would get me this to work with lol . They complain when i ask for one with blue tooth. I wanted to check out the Photon and can still can but i feel bad taking a new phone to then return it and now it can't be resold.. I know there's nothing really wrong with doing that but now since there is only 2 weeks, I don't want my Epic to feel bad or unloved... :)

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, if its any consolation I paid for my own phone for the first 3.5 years at this place and after talking with my boss I am going to have to wait a bit longer due to company account changes.

Oh well, I'll be picking up a GSII myself on the 16th no matter what.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the photon, I have until the 22nd to exchange it. I like almost everything about the Photon but seeing the matrix on the pentile screen and the bloom effect drives me insane. I'm a photographer and graphic designer and I can't help but notice it. Its going back as soon as best buy mobile starts preorders for the Evo Touch 4G

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the photon, I have until the 22nd to exchange it. I like almost everything about the Photon but seeing the matrix on the pentile screen and the bloom effect drives me insane. I'm a photographer and graphic designer and I can't help but notice it. Its going back as soon as best buy mobile starts preorders for the EpicTouch 4G

FTFY

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Careful on this one. While the screen is bigger, you may not find it to be better. How a screen looks is very subjective. I was in a AT&T store today to fondle an Infuse again to get ready for how the E4GT would look and feel, and looked at the screen side-by-side with the Atrix which uses a similar PenTile screen to the Photon. There were actually some things about that Atrix screen I liked better. Particularly, the whites. The PenTile screen's white is VERY white and bright, while the Infuse whites are dull, almost grey, even at full brightness. However, the blacks on the Infuse crush the blacks on the Atrix. Also, font sharpness looked better to me on the Atrix's smaller qHD screen. Some people hate the PenTile screens ... I don't mind them so much. To each his own.

In addition, lighter and thinner isn't always a winner either. You may end up liking the heavier feel of the Photon. Don't get me wrong, I really like the look and feel of the Infuse, but others may not. Just sayin' ... what seems like pros could actually be cons to you.

The best thing you can do is go into a store on the 16th, compare the E4GT side-by-side with the Photon and make your decision to exchange or not. Keep in mind that the Photon likely will have stronger reception and call quality, which is something you may not be able to compare in the store.

Good luck!

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I got Moto Photon and very happy with it. Good battery life, screen and call quality best, even friends notice the difference. Getting used to size vs Pre - , MoPho to S2 no biggie.

Wanted S2 didn't think it would be out till Oct Nov so bought MoPho. I will go 16th look at S2 and make switch? Just got 3 batts, screen protectors, charger and case. Oh well, nice xmas gift to someone.

Any thoughts on my decision, please fire away.

Really? You are happy with your Moto Photon? Really? I can't imagine how I feel about new phone when I get 3 batteries... :S Oh well! Glad you like it! :)

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Really? You are happy with your Moto Photon? Really? I can't imagine how I feel about new phone when I get 3 batteries... :S Oh well! Glad you like it! :)

I always get spare batteries regardless of the phone. There isn't one out there that doesn't need a spare battery.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, Android newbie here.. former WebOS user.

Ok, I was just reading in another thread about comparing the Motorola Proton radio with the HTC EVO.

So can someone tell me how the radio is going to be on the new Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch?

Will it be just as good?

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Motorola Proton and this new Samsung Epic?

I absolutely love the 4.5 inch screen, this is the main selling point for me. I want a poor man's tablet until I can afford a real tablet.

Everyone seems to hate the Samsung skin (is that what you guys call it) or is it called 'overlay' and everyone hates the Motorola 'Blur' thing.

And yes, I know, put a different launch on it.

Google just purchased Motorola, so will Motorola be given more love?

Thanks all!

Rob

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Motorola Proton and this new Samsung Epic?

I absolutely love the 4.5 inch screen, this is the main selling point for me. I want a poor man's tablet until I can afford a real tablet.
I'm debating these two as well. I took a screenshot of a comparison between the Atrix (4.3" 540x960, same screen as the Photon) and the Infuse (4.5" 480x800, same res as S2)...everything is just 'bigger' with less content :(:

compare.png

I think the S2 will be a great media device, but the lower resolution may make it a mediocre productivity tool.

Everyone seems to hate the Samsung skin (is that what you guys call it) or is it called 'overlay' and everyone hates the Motorola 'Blur' thing.
Yeah, the Samsung TouchWiz is pretty much 'iPhone with widgets'. Motorola isn't all that better....its less obnoxious, but they changed all the icons (web, messaging, camera, etc) and everything looks lame.

Should be interesting to see if the 'ol Samsung issues follow the S2 (GPS, cell radio strength, etc). I personally cant wait to see this sucker when it shows up in stores.

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I personallly can't stand the washed out colors on the photon compared to my epic. The samoled has spoiled me. Just got my mom a photon last week for her bday, she likes it but, she upgraded from a flip phone so that's expected. Otherwise the photon is great. Its noticeably faster, snappier, and better on batt life than my OG epic.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating these two as well. I took a screenshot of a comparison between the Atrix (4.3" 540x960, same screen as the Photon) and the Infuse (4.5" 480x800, same res as S2)...everything is just 'bigger' with less content :(:

compare.png

I think the S2 will be a great media device, but the lower resolution may make it a mediocre productivity tool.

Yeah, the Samsung TouchWiz is pretty much 'iPhone with widgets'. Motorola isn't all that better....its less obnoxious, but they changed all the icons (web, messaging, camera, etc) and everything looks lame.

Should be interesting to see if the 'ol Samsung issues follow the S2 (GPS, cell radio strength, etc). I personally cant wait to see this sucker when it shows up in stores.
Wow, I thought I checked all the features and specs out to compare the both.

I totally missed the resolution on the Motorola compared to the Samsung.

Funny, I was just reading about all the manufacture's next thing was to raise the resolution.

Now I think I might have just made a mistake. I actually just got off the phone from placing my 'pre-order' for the Samsung.

I guess I can check it out when it arrives and bring it to the Sprint store and look at the Motorola next to it (like the picture you did).

I would have 30 days to change my mind after playing with it for a few days.

Thanks for pointing out something that I just missed.

I'm getting myself upset because I swore this time around (coming from WebOS) I would not make a mistake.

Rob

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just go to an AT&T store and look at an Infuse. It has the same screen. If you don't like it you can cancel your order, no big deal. You might also want to check out the zillion of threads regarding the Photon screen and Pentile displays.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I thought I checked all the features and specs out to compare the both.

I totally missed the resolution on the Motorola compared to the Samsung.

Funny, I was just reading about all the manufacture's next thing was to raise the resolution.

Now I think I might have just made a mistake. I actually just got off the phone from placing my 'pre-order' for the Samsung.

I guess I can check it out when it arrives and bring it to the Sprint store and look at the Motorola next to it (like the picture you did).

I would have 30 days to change my mind after playing with it for a few days.

Thanks for pointing out something that I just missed.

I'm getting myself upset because I swore this time around (coming from WebOS) I would not make a mistake.

Rob

Moto PenTile screen = yucky
Sammy infuse screen is the same one used in Sprint GS2 which blows Photons away so don't let resolution numbers fool ya

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Moto PenTile screen = yucky
Sammy infuse screen is the same one used in Sprint GS2 which blows Photons away so don't let resolution numbers fool ya

While I agree with you most people dont notice. All my friends I've shown the Photon to think I'm crazy for wanting to return it because of the screen. They just don't see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny