2.1 Leak vs. 2.1 root

CrackMonkey91

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
it might just be me but i think it would be hard to tell you since unless you have two phones you can really only have one or the other since there is not going back once you do it

gardobus

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Rooted phones can do things that a non-rooted can't. At least thats the case with the Droid. Screenshot apps, themes, cachemate, etc all require root.

amd2132

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
2.1 root has issues with google maps and navigation not working properly
2.1 leak maps and navigation work perfectly

2.1 root icons and other visuals such as the market are not all correctly formatted
2.1 leak all icons/visuals are correct

2.1 is rooted
2.1 leak is not

2.1 root does not require signing into google after rebooting
2.1 leak requires signing into google after rebooting

Just a few differences I noticed while on 2.1 root before switching back to 2.1 leak.

Last edited:

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
2.1 root has issues with google maps and navigation not working properly
2.1 leak maps and navigation work perfectly

2.1 root icons and other visuals such as the market are not all correctly formatted
2.1 leak all icons/visuals are correct

2.1 is rooted
2.1 leak is not

2.1 root does not require signing into google after rebooting
2.1 leak requires signing into google after rebooting

Just a few differences I noticed while on 2.1 root before switching back to 2.1 leak.

Sounds like the leak is better than root at least for now.

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Dont be so sure. The latest and greatest ROM was just uploaded. If you havent already, flash the recovery image, and then flash the new ROM. IF you have root. New ROM fixes the nav. issue and increases speed. And probably other things I just haven't found yet. And on root you can remove stock apps you don't want like VVM and Amazon MP3

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Dont be so sure. The latest and greatest ROM was just uploaded. If you havent already, flash the recovery image, and then flash the new ROM. IF you have root. New ROM fixes the nav. issue and increases speed. And probably other things I just haven't found yet. And on root you can remove stock apps you don't want like VVM and Amazon MP3
I installed the leak when it first came out so no root for me. I'm sure those devs will change that soon though.
Are you able to overclock yet? How much speed increase are you noticing? Were you able to uninstall the amazon mp3 app?

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah i'm sure they are hard at work for the leak. And I have not tried overclocking it yet on the new ROM, I don't think anyone else has either. I'll think about testing it... And the speed increase is great. I would definitely say smoother and faster than the leak, and I had experience with the leak. And yes, you can uninstall any app. you want. That was the first to go actually.

mitchell.23

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah i'm sure they are hard at work for the leak. And I have not tried overclocking it yet on the new ROM, I don't think anyone else has either. I'll think about testing it... And the speed increase is great. I would definitely say smoother and faster than the leak, and I had experience with the leak. And yes, you can uninstall any app. you want. That was the first to go actually.
How much phone storage has root freed up for you? With the 2.1 leak I gained about 20mb. The ability to get rid of those previously not able to un install apps has got to help also.

gardobus

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I've thought about rooting my wifes Eris to get cachemate and screenshot apps and whatnot for her but I want to be able to go back to stock just in case. Is that currently possible? Does the recovery image allow nandroid backups like SirPsycho's droid recovery?

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, not sure how much phone storage I had before. But right now on the current ROM I have 110mb of phone storage available. And yeah it is really nice to see them gone. As far as I know it isn't possible to rollback to stock yet. I'm not sure if it allows nandroid backups or not, but the recovery will take you back to the "stock" root.

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

how do i remove stock apps btw?

mrfarinhight

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well I'm going to tell you how to do it with a Terminal since new ROMS are causing phones to have trouble getting recognized in DOS. To remove Apps., download "Android Terminal Emulator" from the app market. Open it up and type this code in, 1 line at a time:

su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd system/app
ls (this will list all the apps)
rm *selected app*.apk

So if i wanted to remove Amazon MP3, I would type:
rm AmazonMp3.apk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member