2 months after upgrade, why is my line still eligible for upgrade?

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping someone here can tell me what is going on, because I don't think I should contact Verizon to ask this question. :)

About two months ago, one line on my account finished the 2-year contract and I promptly used the upgrade for a new smartphone.

As of today, I'm still seeing that line as eligible for upgrade on MyVerizon.

(my other line won't be eligible for upgrade until next year, so I know it's not a mix-up)

What will happen if I use Verizon's website and use this "upgrade" for another phone? :)

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you get a subsidized phone?

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you get a subsidized phone?

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Yes... it was subsidized.

If I go to my account online, it will let me transfer the upgrade to my other line.

I guess when I upgraded, they forgot to extend my contract by another two years?

What will happen if I just order another phone at subsidized pricing? What will
Verizon do if they discover the mistake 6 months from now? Will they ask me
to give one of the phones back or will they extend my contract toa 4-year contract?

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes... it was subsidized.

If I go to my account online, it will let me transfer the upgrade to my other line.

I guess when I upgraded, they forgot to extend my contract by another two years?

What will happen if I just order another phone at subsidized pricing? What will
Verizon do if they discover the mistake 6 months from now? Will they ask me
to give one of the phones back or will they extend my contract toa 4-year contract?

I would contact them to point out what you are seeing. Get it taken care of now so you don't have to keep fretting over it. Ask for a bill credit for your troubles. They may give you $10 - $20 credit. I have been successful a few times with this. It doesn't hurt to ask.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you activate the new phone on the line you upgraded? If you didn't then that is why your contract date didn't change, and they will probably catch it.

If you did activate the new phone on the line, the contract should have changed upon activation. You might have slipped thru a glitch, it happens. Transfer the upgrade to the other line and upgrade it. If the line is tied to a contract it won't let you upgrade it, if it goes thru and you get the phone and activate it you probably will never hear from Verizon, and if you did, only thing they could do is update the contract dates to the correct dates.

Another words your not out anything for trying. Worse case they catch it after you get the second phone, they change the contract dates, translates to you got a early upgrade on one of the lines.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
It signifies that your line you just subsidized is eligible for upgrade to Edge. Mine did the same thing at the 1 yr mark of my contract. I had a date for contract expiration then it said month to month.... I called they said it signified the eligibility to move to edge program

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
He said it's only been 2 months since he upgraded, so the eligible for edge doesn't apply here.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I figured the best way to test this is to buy another phone. I walked into the local Verizon corporate store this morning.

Just came home with a new $0 LG G2. I was able to transfer the upgrade.(again) This time, my Verizon account reflected the new contract end date.(on the line that the upgrade came from) The VZW store employee didn't say anything at all.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What line are you activating the phone on when you get it? The line you transferred the upgrade to our the line the upgrade cane from?

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
something is not right... now that line is saying upgrade eligible again... :( I don't know what's going on.
There is obviously a glitch on your line that inures to your benefit. Whether or not you want to keep taking advantage of what is obviously a glitch has both moral and legal implications.

On the moral side of things, if this happened to me I would use the upgrade to get a new iPhone 6 when it comes out and sell it and never lose a wink of sleep over it. My god says it is Ok to screw verizon given that they are selectively throttling UDP users in violation of the law. It's an eye for an eye type of thing and my god is down with it. But my god is cool, yours may not be, so check with your spiritual advisor if you need more info on the moral side of things given your spiritual beliefs.

On the legal side of things, Verizon may very well be able to figure out a cause of action against you if you keep taking advantage of this obvious glitch to at least recover the subsidy from you. Now would they go after you is a different issue. If you did it 100 times, I am sure they would. If you did it twice, I think the chance they would go after you is slim to none. But be prepared to pay back the subsidy in case they do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nephalem42