2 Questions about Sound

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
On S10 when I Mute the phone, I still get sound. For instance sometimes a website will still make the sound even tho the phone is muted. Also the other day and Youtube video made sound even tho it was muted.
I thought muting shuts off all sound? How can I turn of sound.
My previous phones, HTCs, would shut off all sound with hitting the mute button.

The notification buttons on this phone bother my dog. Something in the tone, seems to effect her. When I get a notification it seems to bother her, and she gets up and goes to the other room. I did not have this problem with my previous phones.
I tried moving sounds to the newly available Yahoo sounds, but they still seem to bother her. Any ideas on how to fix this and not bother dogs with every notification.
Thank you.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
As for your first question, with my HTC's if I held the vol down button until I got the vibration symbol or the mute symbol it did seem to turn all sounds off, if I remember correctly. On this device however if you hold the vol down button until you get one of those symbols you can then press the pulldown menu button, v symbol next to the volume indicator, and see that system sounds, ringtones and notifications are muted. Media sound and Bixby are still set at whatever level they were set at before, during regular operation. Even under DND and using Quick Settings this is true. I do not believe stock there is anyway to adjust all volumes at once. There are third party apps that you can get that may accommodate this action but I cannot recommend one, that would be something you would have to test and pick for yourself.

It is odd that your pet would be affected by the notification sound. The best I can offer for that would be to try different ones until you find one that you and your pet can live with. As I increase in years I know I've lost certain frequencies and my guess is that the ring tones you've chosen are perhaps above what you can hear or masked by the lower frequencies to you but not your pet. Changing to something like a music clip or some other custom type clip may help. While the stock sounds may include other unwanted frequency ranges. Does it matter what volume level the device is at when this happens? If not that may be another indicator of it being a frequency. That's really all I can offer on that however.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks VJ for confirming. I find it unfortunate that you cannot turn off all sound. That seems pretty basic - in case anyone from Samsung is reading. Mute means mute, right? If you are sleeping or at a meeting you do not want ANY sound, basic stuff.

Regarding the speakers, it seems that the notification and other sounds have frequencies that bother dogs. In case anyone from Samsung is reading, please fix this.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
From my stock S10, I mute sound from the notification bar. If you hold the volume icon it will open the sound settings. Select Volume and you will see Ringtone, Notifications, and System sound are muted, but not Media and Bixby Voice.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is the point. When you want to mute your phone, you want to mute your phone - all of the sliders should be at mute. This is a stupid setting.