2 Questions

aliasfan

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys I have 2 questions for you and I hope I get ton of feedback from these to questions.

Question 1 I know Gingerbread is finally rolling out this Fri.what extras will it have? I think I was reading about getting rid of apps like Madden NFL and others that cant be uninstalled is this true? or was I seeing things?.

Question 2 Now I have a Droid X and I want a new keyboard I noticed I can get swipe or leave the stock keyboard. what keyboard do you have ? and how does it work for ya? and does swipe really live up to all the hype? (have a Droid X) and IF I CHOOSE to use swipe and I dont like it as well as the stock keyboard how difficult is it to switch back? :-!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys I have 2 questions for you and I hope I get ton of feedback from these to questions.

Question 1 I know Gingerbread is finally rolling out this Fri.what extras will it have? I think I was reading about getting rid of apps like Madden NFL and others that cant be uninstalled is this true? or was I seeing things?.
No one can say for sure because it hasn't been released but I really do not see any of the preinstalled apps being removed..

Question 2 Now I have a Droid X and I want a new keyboard I noticed I can get swipe or leave the stock keyboard. what keyboard do you have ? and how does it work for ya? and does swipe really live up to all the hype? (have a Droid X) and IF I CHOOSE to use swipe and I dont like it as well as the stock keyboard how difficult is it to switch back? :-!
Swype is already on device it is a stock keyboard, click and hold on text input area and you will get a option to select Swype or multitouch keyboard. You can switch whenever you want, Swype is nice but not for everyonem you just need to try them and see what you like.

Last edited:

smhism

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Just went back to froyo from GB .588 leak. Right now I'm using the multitouch keyboard (seems to work better on froyo). I had been using swype. Swype takes some getting used to, but tends to be a little faster for me. Also used swiftkey and flexT9. swiftkey is good if you type the same phrases often. a few times i sent entire texts without typing more than one letter. FlexT9 is interesting to play around with. It's got multiple input options in one keyboard. There's a "drawing" feature where you actually hand-write the letters, and it's got a swype-like method. I seemed to have found a bug when you swype from the period to space, as you would with the actual swype keyboard, it'd start making some god-awful noise and i'd have to mute my phone for a minute or so until it stopped.

wow that was a long post...

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Question 1: Each OTA release we have gotten so far (2.2 & 2.2.1) has brought new bloat and we haven't been able to delete any of it without rooting, so I can't imagine Gingerbread being any different. If you do decide to root & delete any system apps, make sure to back them up first or you will not be able to get any future OTA's if they come until you reinstall them first or do a complete SBF to get you back to stock configuration.

Question 2: My favorite keyboard right now is "FlexT9" because it allows multitouch AND swiping all from the same keyboard without switching any settings. Personally, I prefer the swiping method in portrait orientation & multitouching method in landscape orientation.

Actually, there is an app for rooted phones that I got in the market a while back "Keyboard Manager" that allows you to assign a different keyboard for both portrait & landscape so when you rotate your phone...it automatically switches your keyboard for you. It works pretty well, but I actually stopped using it recently though because it did cause some instability (random reboots & keyboard force closes) with my phone and anyway, FlexT9 does the same thing I was trying to achieve all from the same keyboard. I can see Keyboard Manager being an update or 2 away from working flawlessly though.

Here is the Market link for "Keyboard Manager":
https://market.android.com/details?...roid.utility.kmLauncher&feature=search_result

And for "FlexT9" if interested:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nuance.flext9.input&feature=search_result

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Does swipe really live up to all the hype? (have a Droid X) and IF I CHOOSE to use swipe and I dont like it as well as the stock keyboard how difficult is it to switch back? :-!

I like swipe keyboards a lot...there is a learning curve to it though...but once you get the hang of it, you may really like it.

TIPS: When typing words that repeat the same letter back to back (like "Hello") you need to kind of loop your finger on the letter that repeats without picking it up so the keyboard registers that it needs 2 of that letter instead of just one. You also don't need to hit the space bar unless you are breaking for a new sentance. Just picking up your finger between words causes a new word.

Those were probably the hardest things for me to get into the habit of doing when I first switched. I think there is a tutorial in the keyboard that will show you want I am saying better than I explained it.

As far as switching between keyboards, it's very easy! Just go to Menu > Settings > Language & Keyboard > Input Method and select the keyboard you want to try. If you don't like it, go back in the same way & switch it back to what you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23