20mbps!!!!

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Weeeee I finally have a decent internet connection!!!! Lol moving up from 1.5mbs i finally got rid of clearwire!! So fast is your internet connection? Any of you guys going over 50mbs?

Heres a link to check your speed: http://www.speedtest.net/

Thats what i get at midnight.

Last edited:

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Nothing terribly special. It works for gaming, xboxing, etc. I wish i could get a fiber connection, but Comcast cable will do for now. Sometimes, my down speeds are much closer to 10Mbps, but when you live in a populated area, cable speeds suffer when many people are using it at once. I can't complain though, especially with 2 different wireless routers in my house running on dd-wrt linux firmware, i get pretty good service.

My connection at work is nuts though. We have 3 banded T1 lines i believe. We get a solid 38Mbps up, 38Mbps down connection, all day, all the time. it's pretty sweet.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow, you guys have it made. I average 1Mb/s download and just over 1.3 upload. My upload pwns my download everytime but I don't think I've ever uploaded anything so it is pretty moot. The nice thing is my service has been dirt cheap for years at only 26 bucks a month and a month free every year with free updated CA internet security suite. Plus it is fun to talk about because I get my internet through my 110 outlets, no cable, DSL, or satellite.

Last edited:

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
haha chuck at least you have 1.3 up i used to get ~1.3 down and like .6 up. But i just upgraded to comcast cause my clearwire contract was over (Thank god). And yeah cable does get slower with more traffic i was getting like 30mbps at around 1 am.

By the way chuck what ISP do you have?

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my service; especially since Comcast is giving twice what I'm paying for:

P.S. - I highly recommend dumping the rental modem Comcast gives you in favor of this one by Motorola.

Yeah i was pretty surprised that im paying almost $70 a month and they're giving me a POS RCA modem. As much as I'd like to get the modem you recommended I can't afford paying another 100 for it. How much difference does a modem make on your connection anyways?

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Nothing terribly special. It works for gaming, xboxing, etc. I wish i could get a fiber connection, but Comcast cable will do for now. Sometimes, my down speeds are much closer to 10Mbps, but when you live in a populated area, cable speeds suffer when many people are using it at once. I can't complain though, especially with 2 different wireless routers in my house running on dd-wrt linux firmware, i get pretty good service.

My connection at work is nuts though. We have 3 banded T1 lines i believe. We get a solid 38Mbps up, 38Mbps down connection, all day, all the time. it's pretty sweet.

Yeah business do have pretty sick connections some of the bigger ones even have OC 192:eek:. Thats having pages load before you even click on them and download Modern Warfae 2 in just a few seconds!!

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Current communications. It is new stuff having internet through the power lines but it is in a very limited area because I guess they have to put boxes on the utility poles near the residence. It is just a little box not much bigger than a charger that plugs into thaw wall with an Ethernet output. I might upgrade to the higher speed offering though. For 10 bucks more I can get 3Mb/s but that is the most. The upload times follow with the download times too.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I read an article a little while ago that says some scientists successfully tested 100Mb/s and expect it to start implementation within a year or two.

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah the 100mbit speed is for your consumers but we shouldn't need it for a while. Some businesses are running speeds 100 times faster then my 20mbit connection.

I'll have to do some deep researching to figure out how they got a internet connection to go through a power line.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah i was pretty surprised that im paying almost $70 a month and they're giving me a POS RCA modem. As much as I'd like to get the modem you recommended I can't afford paying another 100 for it. How much difference does a modem make on your connection anyways?

I was getting about 17 down before and 20+ after, so a slight improvement. Plus Comcast keeps jacking up the rental fees.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my service; especially since Comcast is giving twice what I'm paying for:

P.S. - I highly recommend dumping the rental modem Comcast gives you in favor of this one by Motorola.

what difference does a new modem make? i do have the one that comcast provided us, and it also controls our phone, tv, etc. so if you have any useful info about using a different modem other than the one i have, please share...as i am definitely willing to listen to any advice that may help my internet speeds.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

what difference does a new modem make? i do have the one that comcast provided us, and it also controls our phone, tv, etc. so if you have any useful info about using a different modem other than the one i have, please share...as i am definitely willing to listen to any advice that may help my internet speeds.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Honestly, I don't know the technical reasons why this modem performs better than the one Comcast provides, other than the fact that it's a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant vs. DOCSIS 2.0. There might be other hardware differences and tweaks within this modem that make it perform better. I based my purchasing decision on feedback from the many reviews I read on Amazon, and on DSL Reports. I was also swayed by a friend who had just replaced his and claimed his speeds had skyrocketed afterward.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know the technical reasons why this modem performs better than the one Comcast provides, other than the fact that it's a DOCSIS 3.0 compliant vs. DOCSIS 2.0. There might be other hardware differences and tweaks within this modem that make it perform better. I based my purchasing decision on feedback from the many reviews I read on Amazon, and on DSL Reports. I was also swayed by a friend who had just replaced his and claimed his speeds had skyrocketed afterward.

so you actually saw speed improvements after upgrading your modem? is there any sort of programming that must be done by comcast to "activated it" for use on your account, or do you just plug it in where the old modem was, and you're good to go? it is definitely something worth looking into if it actually makes a difference.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
so you actually saw speed improvements after upgrading your modem? is there any sort of programming that must be done by comcast to "activated it" for use on your account, or do you just plug it in where the old modem was, and you're good to go? it is definitely something worth looking into if it actually makes a difference.

Yes, I did several before and after tests and the Motorola modem was better.

Activating was kind of a pain in the tail, because I thought I could just plug it in and that it would work. Actually I had to plug the cable into it, then plug the cable directly into my computer (as opposed to wireless router), and then call Comcast and activate it by giving them the new MAC address. There's a web portal that will display in IE that walks you through an activation process. Once activated you can then plug it in the the router.

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

I'm just guessing on this but here my take. Modems are just like Ethernet PCI cards it just gets the data in front of you faster giving you ~5mbps more speeds which probably varies. If I were you I'd get a new one. Expensive or cheap depending on how long your going to stay with comcast.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm just guessing on this but here my take. Modems are just like Ethernet PCI cards it just gets the data in front of you faster giving you ~5mbps more speeds which probably varies. If I were you I'd get a new one. Expensive or cheap depending on how long your going to stay with comcast.

hmm... well cash is a little tight right now, and i dont see us switching from comcast anytime soon. maybe i'll scour the net for a good deal on a new modem. that's really interesting though that the modem itself can make a speed difference.

to prove my point from earlier, here is another speed test on my connection at 3am when i doubt many other people around are online.

if i could improve on this with a new modem...this could definitely be worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mahendra K