2XL Has gone, got a P20 Pro.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, not an easy decision but I've given my 2xl away and got a P20 Pro . However, it's gone to my Son whose S7 was on its last legs so I know it's gone to a good home!
I've got 3 contracts with EE (TMOBILE UK) and was holding out until the 3xl was released but I've temporarily jumped ship as I have 2 upgrades to use and I've got to say that the P20 Pro is a very good device. It's not my 1st Huawei as I previously had the 6P and was so impressed with that phone I bought a MediaPad M3 tablet instead of another Samsung.
This is a well made premium device, not too far away from vanilla android and seems to be very fluid and fast. Although there is only a main down- firing speaker which is complimented by a smaller (microphone?) tweeter at the top of the phone it actually sounds a bit better than my 2xl. The cameras are excellent, at least on par of the 2xl but my only real gripe is that the 2xl is a much better point and shoot camera especially in hdr+ mode. To get similar results you have to got into the camera menu and activate the hdr mode as you can't leave it permanently turned on. Night mode is superb for low light situations but yet again it has to be selected from the camera menu. I think that with time and a bit of practice I'll get used to having a load more settings and my photos will definitely improve. All in all I'm surprisingly pleased with this phone, even though it will be a stop gap til the 3xl arrives... or will it!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Congrats and that phone would probably be the phone i would go with too if I was to upgrade. Right now I'm waiting for the officially pixel 3 xl announcements and hoping all the leaks so far are not accurate bc if they are I don't think an upgrade from the pixel 2 xl to the XL 3 will be worth the $$.
Ok, not an easy decision but I've given my 2xl away and got a P20 Pro . However, it's gone to my Son whose S7 was on its last legs so I know it's gone to a good home!
I've got 3 contracts with EE (TMOBILE UK) and was holding out until the 3xl was released but I've temporarily jumped ship as I have 2 upgrades to use and I've got to say that the P20 Pro is a very good device. It's not my 1st Huawei as I previously had the 6P and was so impressed with that phone I bought a MediaPad M3 tablet instead of another Samsung.
This is a well made premium device, not too far away from vanilla android and seems to be very fluid and fast. Although there is only a main down- firing speaker which is complimented by a smaller (microphone?) tweeter at the top of the phone it actually sounds a bit better than my 2xl. The cameras are excellent, at least on par of the 2xl but my only real gripe is that the 2xl is a much better point and shoot camera especially in hdr+ mode. To get similar results you have to got into the camera menu and activate the hdr mode as you can't leave it permanently turned on. Night mode is superb for low light situations but yet again it has to be selected from the camera menu. I think that with time and a bit of practice I'll get used to having a load more settings and my photos will definitely improve. All in all I'm surprisingly pleased with this phone, even though it will be a stop gap til the 3xl arrives... or will it!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Congrats and that phone would probably be the phone i would go with too if I was to upgrade. Right now I'm waiting for the officially pixel 3 xl announcements and hoping all the leaks so far are not accurate bc if they are I don't think an upgrade from the pixel 2 xl to the XL 3 will be worth the $$.

I don't think any upper tier phone out there is worthy to upgrade too. So how do I justify upgrading?
I've gotten away from buying what I need to buying what I want.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't think any upper tier phone out there is worthy to upgrade too. So how do I justify upgrading?
I hear you, nothing out there right now interests me really. I have some mild interest in the Note 9 because the battery is huge and the screen is big but I just don't like the curved screens and the damn hardware button for bixby. Plus I've had notes in the past but I never used the features so it's really a waste of money. OP6 interests me too but I don't think the camera stacks up and I don't trust that company completely. Still not sure they stack up in the customer service department and Google was phenomenal when I had an issue with my first Pixel 2.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice buy OP.

Yes the Huawei has an excellent camera, particularly in low light. I'm looking to upgrade my Pixel 2 XL. If the Pixel 3 doesn't impress (which it's on track to do) then the Huawei P20 Pro is one of the phones I'll be keeping my eyes on.

Last edited:

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you the P20 will be on my radar as well if the pixel 3 XL falls short.
Nice buy OP.

Yes the Huawei has an excellent camera, particularly in low light. I'm looking to upgrade my Pixel 2 XL. If the Pixel 3 doesn't impress (which it's on track to do) then the Huawei P20 Pro is one of the phones I'll be keeping my eyes on.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site

"Want" is my motivator too. If the Pixel 3 comes with wireless charging, I'm on it. If not, I'm not.
Interested in the new Google smartwatch. If it has the ability to monitor blood pressure, I'm on that too.

Not sure if any smartwatch can monitor blood pressure at this point in time.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If it has the ability to monitor blood pressure, I'm on that too.

Not sure if any smartwatch can monitor blood pressure at this point in time.
I'm not aware of ANY device in existence that allows someone to continuously monitor blood pressure.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I'm not aware of ANY device in existence that allows someone to continuously monitor blood pressure.

Pretty sure you are correct. I did find a company called OMRON that is coming out with a wrist wearable BP monitor later this year. It is called the Omron HeartGuide. I intend to look into it further.

I realize this is OT but, if the shipping procedure for the Pixel 3 is anything like the shipping procedures for the Pixel 1 and 2, there will be plenty of posters here with high...BP;)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I did find a company called OMRON that is coming out with a wrist wearable BP monitor later this year. It is called the Omron HeartGuide. I intend to look into it further.
Well keep us posted here about that. I would certainly be interested in purchasing one of those if it was at all reasonable in price (and had some kind of reliability/accuracy data to go along with it).

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
And why would you want to constantly monitor BP ? It varies a lot during the day, especially when active and that’s perfectly normal. I think constantly monitoring BP will give you high BP. :p

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
And why would you want to constantly monitor BP ? It varies a lot during the day, especially when active and that’s perfectly normal. I think constantly monitoring BP will give you high BP. :p

Exactly what my Doctor said....The Omron device does interest me though. You can go to their site and sign up for info etc.

jeepentj

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the S9+, the P20 Pro, the Pixel 2 Xl and have pre-ordered the Note 9. They're all great phones and frankly, I don't think one is head and shoulders above the others in all areas. They all have their pros and cons. Unfortunately the leap frog gains of years ago seem to be over. If I were smart, I'd just buy a phone and stick with it. My "sickness" ensures that I keep buying the next phone though, searching for that elusive unicorn (perfect in all areas).

Maybe someday. Until then, it's off to the Note 9!! 😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777