3G lags?

dw3bb10

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Running 2.2.....it seems like my 3g connection hiccups. Sometimes it takes a awhile for the 3G signal to go through to send/recieve tweets (when i manually refresh) or even when playing games like Words With Friends, it takes awhile to finally send or sometimes just hangs and gives a network error. And no, doesnt happen over 4G or WiFi. What gives?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The problem is you might not be getting a strong 3G signal strength. You're using a phone which have 4G capabilities...try using the 4g or wifi(if possible).

Data connection varies - At one spot it works really fast, and at another really really sloooow. Ps. This is not a snooty response...

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is the phones fault. Its a modem issue. I would get horrible thru put speeds, ran speedtest.net and found my ping time over 999ms. I found that going into airplane mode for a few seconds and then back would cause the modem to re-connect and most of the time this would be fixed.

Also if you notice the phone getting sluggish, going into airplane mode fixed that as well, for me that is.

I had SystemPannel on my EVO (and now my EPIC) and i found my phone sometimes became sluggish, i would go to Systempannel only to find my CPU usage at 100% and it wouldnt come down.
After a lot of trial and error i found that going into airplane mode would fix that as well.

Get SpeedTest.net app from the market and next time you notice slow speeds see if your ping time is 999ms and your thru put speeds are extremely slow. Then try the airplane mode trick and re-test and see if it helps. Its not a 100% fix but i would say 80% of the time it worked for me.

foghorn67

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It's because you are getting a false 3G signal.
Ignore the first reply. Kind of snotty reply.

Download the signal strength widget from the market, and load it on your homescreen. Notice how it says 1x.

3G is down in LA and Orange County. Its been that way since the 7th of this month. They are doing some massive overhauling here.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on where you are.... and how strong 3G signal you're getting. Update "Data Profile".

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's because you are getting a false 3G signal.
Ignore the first reply. Kind of snotty reply.

Download the signal strength widget from the market, and load it on your homescreen. Notice how it says 1x.

3G is down in LA and Orange County. Its been that way since the 7th of this month. They are doing some massive overhauling here.

How was the first or 2nd (mine) reply snotty?

Both of them have valid info in them so telling him to ignore them isnt necessarily the correct reply either.

I will agree that he should download mobile signal widget, I have it on my EPIC and have found several places that my phone reverts to 1x but the phone says 3G. This causes both slow data speeds and the phone to use the battery at a much higher rate.

But the part about having true 3G with DL of 30kbs and UL of 50kbs is something that has happened to me a lot. My ping time would be thru the roof and the data speeds were crawling. Rebooting or airplane mode was the only fix for it.

foghorn67

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
How was the first or 2nd (mine) reply snotty?

Both of them have valid info in them so telling him to ignore them isnt necessarily the correct reply either.

I will agree that he should download mobile signal widget, I have it on my EPIC and have found several places that my phone reverts to 1x but the phone says 3G. This causes both slow data speeds and the phone to use the battery at a much higher rate.

But the part about having true 3G with DL of 30kbs and UL of 50kbs is something that has happened to me a lot. My ping time would be thru the roof and the data speeds were crawling. Rebooting or airplane mode was the only fix for it.

No, not your reply.

I have noticed plenty with the same issue as yours.
My issue was the phone wasn't locking on to any EVDO antennas at all. It would say 3g on top, but the widget told the truth. After many headaches, Sprint was able to replace it with a new phone.
Headaches were due to the fact I am within my first 30 days, and they still wanted a 2nd chance at repairing it and giving me a refurb.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@ foghorn67..
You're referring to my post . My response was no way near being "Arrogant" more like "Factual" please read again.

Not getting any form of data connection can be cause by either one or more of these things. (1) Weak Signal. (2) Defective phone. (3) 3G signal tower down. (4) Unknown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunarmoon0320