3rd party launchers

Zippybungle

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm waiting on my delivery of the Note 9 next week. Can't wait!

The last time I had a Samsung was the S2.

I remember then that you'd lose some functionality (and gain some) by using a third party launcher.

I recall that the Samsung widgets were unavailable for example.

I was wondering what it is like nowadays for those of you using Nova, Action Launcher etc.

Do you lose much? Are the edge panels available? I quite like the look of those.

Hope you are all enjoying your new toys!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Anything I lost using Nova over touchwhiz is usually over come by more features I get with Nova prime. I mainly use Nova over touchwhiz or any stock launcher because it works good, and no matter what phone I'm using the launcher is the same that I'm used to, no need to learn new system.

Touchwhiz has improved over the years, but it's not there yet for me.

Zippybungle

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both. I've always used 3rd party launchers regardless of the phone, I enjoy customising too much!

Sounds like Samsung have loosened their grip from the old Touchwiz days and the differences are negligible in regards to losing functionality.

I was a Nova launcher user for many years. Complete convert to action launcher nowadays.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Rootless Pixel launcher here, always loved the Pixel launcher and like how I can replicate it exactly just by installing this launcher. Loving it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=amirz.rootless.nexuslauncher

985f44033f07ea68fea224b089469bfd.jpg
5efdda76ca0c542bdfab6c22b2232139.jpg

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Since the Note 7 I've been giving the Samsung Experience Home (formerly Touchwiz) a shot and it has improved so much with each device that I no longer bother with Nova. SEH gives me the gestures and features I need and is so much smoother now.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Oops, I didn't even know the name changed. Does it give one the option to save all the settings to Samsung Cloud account? It would be great for when switching devices and such.

I guess I need to give it a whirl. Typically, the first thing I do on Android, is to install Nova Prime...
Yeah your home screen, widgets (if the widgets allow it) and app tray settings get backed up to Samsung Cloud. Works really well when setting up a new device. The only thing I wish it backed up is the Edge panel. That's really the only thing I have to manually setup.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I think Samsung's default launcher has come a long way, and is perfectly capable and then some for most people. However, I like very detailed customization including choosing my own icon packs and the way my notification badges look. I can't do that with Grace UI, TouchWiz, or whatever Samsung calls its skin these days.

So, I use Nova Launcher and it's been fantastic on Samsung devices, including my Note9. It may even be a millisecond or two snappier than Samsung's default launcher.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I have Nova Prime purchased but prefer to use Samsung's Launcher right now.

Samsung's Theme Store allows further customisation and icon packs can be downloaded too if I want to mix things up a bit.

To each their own.

Zippybungle

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
God I love talking geek on the internet with people who share the same enthusiasm.

Imagine having an in depth conversation about the merits of different launchers with your work colleagues!

Mandarita

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
I love Nova Launcher. I have my badges customized to match the color scheme of my overall theme. It may seem small, but it makes me happy. I love the transparent Google search bar with app drawer it sports that I can also change the color of to match my overall theme.

Also, I love using folders, but I just don't have the eyesight or desire to see a circle with even smaller icons of the apps that are in that folder. I want to customize the icon that the folder appears as and not be limited to the icon pack I am using. So far, Nova Prime seems to be the only launcher that allows me to set folders as customized icons.

Oh and I can have an app drawer that doesn't show all my apps. I have a hidden app folder for things that I would never need to click on such as those icon packs, wallpapers, Nova Launcher Prime and other apps that exist only to unlock a paywall, and apps that I could not uninstall that I will never touch such as the built in calendar.

The best part was how fast it set itself up for me. I brought it over from my Note 8 from a back up. I've never had my phone up and running fully customized so quickly before. I wish I had used this feature before.

TX Jedi

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Used Nova for a long time (still a great launcher), but switched to Microsoft Launcher. It has improved a lot lately and gets many updates. You can do most of the same things Nova can. Just wanted to try something new.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
I used to use Nova but the stock launcher has been great since the S8+ for me. Stock is less resource hungry and I didn't like to have to download telsa unread just to get notifications. With Goodlock 2018 and the theme store I'm able to get what I want outta the Samsung experience than using Nova.

Zippybungle

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I think I may try this first. Lots of people concur with you nowadays. Roll on next Saturday!
I used to use Nova but the stock launcher has been great since the S8+ for me. Stock is less resource hungry and I didn't like to have to download telsa unread just to get notifications. With Goodlock 2018 and the theme store I'm able to get what I want outta the Samsung experience than using Nova.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm waiting on my delivery of the Note 9 next week. Can't wait!

The last time I had a Samsung was the S2.

I remember then that you'd lose some functionality (and gain some) by using a third party launcher.

I recall that the Samsung widgets were unavailable for example.

I was wondering what it is like nowadays for those of you using Nova, Action Launcher etc.

Do you lose much? Are the edge panels available? I quite like the look of those.

Hope you are all enjoying your new toys!
Samsung has come a long way. I prefer it to nova.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Good Lock is vastly underrated IMO. For me the magic combo is Nova Launcher with Good Lock 2018. That quick panel transparency with dimmed/blurred background looks much more modern than a solid color.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I typically gravitate to stock Android but with the Note 9, the new Samsung Experience is growing on me. I'm very excited for One UI.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay