4.0.4 mic cutout

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Got my update this morning and I was psyched. The phone runs noticeably smoother and signal strength seems improved. Overall I was very happy. My wife is currently out of town and I called to check in with her earlier. While on the phone I mentioned the update and that it hopefully fixed all the issues with the phone, even mentioning the in call cutout issue specifically (as its been particularly annoying to the both of us happening almost every time we are on the phone together).
Then suddenly as I'm saying this I hear "Hello!?! Hello!?!" from my wife and click. Lol Now that's embarrassing talking about a great new update and then in the middle of it a bug the update should have fixed (and according to Verizon did fix).
Gonna try a factory reset as I always like to do one after an update anyways. If the problem persists, I'm gonna be pretty irritated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The problem doesn't occur when using a BT headset.
I always use a headset and have never experienced that issue, others have said the same.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have actually read the exact opposite- the dropout is not the mic, but outbound audio. There are numerous threads that those that get this bug, get it no matter what the input device is. BT headset included.

Have two Gnex in my house, one has the bug the other does not. Was really hoping the update fixed it like VZ says it would. Oh well.

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if its even worth calling Verizon. Really don't want a refurbished phone that may end up with the same issue. Either its a hardware issue Samsung hasn't pinpointed or won't cop to, or its a software issue they can't seem to fix. It would be nice to know which is the case.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Its been an ongoing problem since release. When the bug first cropped up on the wife's Gnex, I looked into it and saw posts from late January about it. Early Feb were the posts about VZ saying a software fix would be forthcoming. June the update comes, and have seen mixed results as to whether it is actually fixed, though this post seems to make it pretty clear.

If VZ is willing to cross ship, and let you test for a couple days, I would try swapping. There is not really a phone on the same level available at VZ. The RAZR Maxx seems the best other choice, and it has GB and a locked bootloader, no CM other than a barely-kang... limited.

I switched my bugless phone with the wife since I do not use the phone as a phone much, compared to her that does business on it. Was easy with Google Voice. But if both your guys phones are doing it, I would setup swaps with each and keep trying until you get one without the bug, or the SGS3 is available (or something else that is at least as good as the Nexus).

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have actually read the exact opposite- the dropout is not the mic, but outbound audio. There are numerous threads that those that get this bug, get it no matter what the input device is. BT headset included.

Have two Gnex in my house, one has the bug the other does not. Was really hoping the update fixed it like VZ says it would. Oh well.

Could be. Maybe mine just doesn't have the problem.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is this issue only on the Verizon nexus or is it on every other nexus?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
My old phone that I swapped with the wife's Gnex since hers was having this bug... now is having the problem also. Really need to hear some more feedback from you stock guys that had this bug pre-4.0.2.

Do you still have it? Heard mixed results. Will flash her to stock/rooted to get rid of the bug, or I will HAVE to swap her to a different phone.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess its a matter of luck

It sounds like all the people who's phones have problems return their phones and get the other people's phones with problems :confused:

I've heard people who were diligent were able to finally get working phones (after multiple tries)

IMO having a phone which has not been perfect so far, but still runs amazing I think it would be worth it to go through the hassle of dealing with Verizon.

PhilD

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
folks with the mic cut-out issue might be interested in this post ... i haven't noticed the issue with my phone and can't say whether or not VZW's recommendation actually makes a difference

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Flashed IMM76K to the wife's phone and did the factory reset per the link above. We shall see. Will be totally bummed out if the phone still can't be a phone reliably.

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset yesterday and still had the issue during a call today. I may try a reset from the recovery menu method mentioned in the above link but I doubt it'll make a difference.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its hardware related since I had the issue when I was using my Bluetooth headset today.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its hardware related since I had the issue when I was using my Bluetooth headset today.

That has been the issue all along; the actual device used is irrelevant. Calling it a mic drop out is not really correct. However, calling it an "outbound audio problem" doesn't roll off the tongue, so we do what we can.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This may get solved IF there's another update.

My time with smart phones has taught me that there is ALWAYS something to wait for. I refuse to wait. It has been 6 months on this particular issue. I MIGHT try talking the wife into waiting a couple weeks and see if this 6/20 date for the SGS3 comes about. My quandary will be whether to move us both then or not. I am on thin ice now after moving her from an iPhone to the Nexus. The WAF is dangerously low (Wife Approval Factor).

All positive gains except for this, most basic, problem. There is nothing else available to match the Nexus either. The RAZR, like several have gone to, is just not in the same ballpark, and it seems the best other choice (No HD, locked down and 2.3). Was really hoping this update fixed it, but if the wife sees it one more time (just went stock with factory reset), we will have to make a move.