4.0.4 OTA Changes?

daikens28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a question those who have gotten the OTA. I wanted to know what changes you've seen in your device since receiving it (signal strength, camera, SMS and email changes, etc.). I know the changelog has been out but I wanted to see what else have people experienced that is not on that list.

I live in Delaware where their is 4G service in alot of places, but my phone very rarely will pick it up and usually get 3G while im at work where my buddies HTC Rezound picks up 3-4 bars. The phone works great for me otherwise personally. I have heard from some friends who rooted that it changes it alot but I wanted to get people's opinion.

Thanks for the Help

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't look at bars, they mean nothing. Look at the actual signal strength: Settings --> About Phone --> Status --> Signal Strength. My 3g radio has greatly improved, but my 4g radio won't hold a signal now. I'm going to FDR and see what happens.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My colleagues and I are in DE for a days and judging from our location reception has improved somewhat at our hotel (where it was pretty poor before) but at our place of work (there is a VZW tower across the street) it is about the same as before (that is to say it works correctly).

Granted, I am making this judgement from talking with colleagues that have the LTE version of the GNex, my GSM GNex just has a lower power radio than my older phone and reception is slightly less by about 3dBms in general.

It is noticeably problematic at our hotel where I used to be able to maintain a call in the lobby (with my GT-I9100) and now in certain areas (the restaurant comes to mind) I am unable to make/receive a call with my GNex.

According to my colleagues the biggest change was dinner last night at a really great Chinese placce where in the past their GNex was unable to maintain 3G/4G, now is able to maintain a signal.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: daikens28

typea

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice improvements in battery life? This to me has been the main flaw of the phone. Almost returned the phone because of this.

Reactions: elvisgp

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I've only had it for a few hours but I got and held 4G easier and much longer and no hand off problems (where I often do)

daikens28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I hope the audio issue is fixed as well. I have a friend that just got the OTA and said it's working great. He didn't go into detail about other enhancments but noticed that signal strength is better and the handoffs from 3g/4g.

Another friend I work with carries the nexus as his work device and had the test OTA pushed earlier this month. I was playing around with it and it got 4g where i had 0 bars of 3g right next to each other so I know it definitely shows a difference.

Also reading that anandtech article, it's almost the same hardware antenna-wise except the nexus has an updated one and putting my buddy's charge next to mine, he had 4g whereas I did not so it somewhat has to do with software.

We shall see.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Could anyone confirm if we can now select multiple emails for deletion with the 4.0.4 when using the stock ICS email client - or must we still delete them one at a time?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If u want answers this os is no different then what's been leaked. There are a ton of threads on what's fixed and what's not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Only been updated for a day, but so far:
Screen rotation much faster
Sound seems the same, still using Volume+
No mic dropout during calls yet
Much better signal strength (not bars,) Dbm and ASu numbers.
Battery life seems better. I am on wifi alot, and from what I have heard that helps with extending your battery life, but even though, the battery life seems better. See attached screen grab. This is a stock battery.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Only been updated for a day, but so far:
Screen rotation much faster
Sound seems the same, still using Volume+
No mic dropout during calls yet
Much better signal strength (not bars,) Dbm and ASu numbers.
Battery life seems better. I am on wifi alot, and from what I have heard that helps with extending your battery life, but even though, the battery life seems better. See attached screen grab. This is a stock battery.

But look how low the Android os is. Looks like Google fixed that bug.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the Android OS battery drain is fixed. My wife is much happier now. At least 18 hours with 3 hours of screen on time now.

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that, after pressing the volume rocker, you can no longer tap the icon on the left to change instantly to vibrate mode and back.

Sent from my (stock) toaster oven.

Blueydwlf

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they moved that to the power menu. Hold the power button and its under the power off and airplane mode options now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Faster multi - tasking for sure. Overall UI is a bit swifter. Stock Web browser seems faster, and the quick options have been added to : option to go straight to bookmarks and add new tab, plus the original 3. Love this addition! Signal is about the same for me, though switching from 3G to 4g is faster. Overall, minor but well-received. The multi - tasking is better, as is the browser. That's enough for me.

Reactions: PhilD

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The radios are soooo much better!!! My Nexus is also buttery smooth. If I had my AOKP type toggles I would stay on stock.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
While not major something that bugged me about 2 was that one click cache cleaners didn't work. With the update to 4 they work just fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

roaddawg24

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
m getting great signal strength now but its different on different towers too.Haven't noticed anything bad,guess I got lucky, I also know some apps aren't optimized for ics so they made my phone act goofy until I deleted them. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfrei