4.2.2 delayed for US carriers due to an exclusivity deal with Verizon?

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So I'm just speculating here, but this kinda makes sense. Verizon gets the HTC One waaay late. As a way to make it more enticing, they become the first ones to get 4.2.2 on it the US. It will the "only" One in the US to have it for a little while. They have the bargaining power and customer base to make something like this happen. Also wouldn't put it past em. Now that it's released, I'm betting we can expect 4.2.2 on other US carriers within the next month.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think having 4.2.2 is VZ's way of saying "sorry for the delay". I don't know, but it makes me somewhat less angry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would HTC hurt it's customers over all carriers to benefit Verizon? Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Why would HTC hurt it's customers over all carriers to benefit Verizon? Doesn't make sense.

It does when cash is shoveled in HTC's direction....

But I think HTC releasing 4.2.2 is crazy. There is NO reason that 4.3 shouldn't be pushed out the door but OH well, I think 4.2.2 will be OTA'd soon after VZW releases it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It does when cash is shoveled in HTC's direction....

But I think HTC releasing 4.2.2 is crazy. There is NO reason that 4.3 shouldn't be pushed out the door but OH well, I think 4.2.2 will be OTA'd soon after VZW releases it.

I can't see Verizon shoveling out that much cash to beat the money they from sales on AT&T, Sprint, and T-mobile.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's probably more that Verizon had 4.2.2 when they started development on their version of Android for the HTC One. The other companies probably didn't have it when they were trying their hardest to get it done as soon as possible to release the phone as early as they could. So the companies that are already selling the phone don't have anywhere near the incentive to get 4.2.2 done that Verizon does because they're already selling the phone. Verizon can't sell it until they get it done. HTC probably released their version of 4.2.2 for the One to all of the carriers at the same time.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
suje5ese.jpg
mu7ubyry.jpg
If you look on the website to pre order it does not say that it will come with 4.2.2 to the contrary on wirefly website to pre order it states 4.1

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

brycenull

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It is been stated by HTC that Sprint is skipping 4.2.2 and just going to 4.3 so I doubt Sprint HTC One's will see the update any time soon.

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

daveh98

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Where did you read that?

Posted via my HTC One or S4 using the Android Central App

Yes where was this read? Personally, I don't mind the skip to 4.3. The current version is just fine and the phone performs near flawlessly so I can skip 4.2 to the latest assuming it doesn't take a year to roll out.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It is been stated by HTC that Sprint is skipping 4.2.2 and just going to 4.3 so I doubt Sprint HTC One's will see the update any time soon.

Sprint didn't say it officially. It was a rumor flying around on a few borderline blog sites that also state that alien testicles improve reception on the iphone 3gs.....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sprint didn't say it officially. It was a rumor flying around on a few borderline blog sites that also state that alien testicles improve reception on the iphone 3gs.....

This. It was a rumor... Never confirmed

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
As long as 4.3 is out before the end of September I can live with this. I'm seriously considering buying an unsubsidized Moto X, not because of the delayed update but the cool lock screen notification

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So I'm just speculating here, but this kinda makes sense. Verizon gets the HTC One waaay late. As a way to make it more enticing, they become the first ones to get 4.2.2 on it the US. It will the "only" One in the US to have it for a little while. They have the bargaining power and customer base to make something like this happen. Also wouldn't put it past em. Now that it's released, I'm betting we can expect 4.2.2 on other US carriers within the next month.

More enticing? To who? The 1% of customers who even know the difference between those two Android versions? This means nothing to 99% of Verizon's customers. Or to the phone market at large for that matter. It's just not a selling point to the majority of the people out there.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I dont really think this is at all true. Sure HTC would add something "special" to a Verizon edition, or other colors etc, but to hold back the actual OS from the multitudes of people waiting for it? If HTC is in fact trying to get back on their feet and get more market share, making an exclusive deal with one carrier which essentially messes with people ability to upgrade to the latest version of Android, would be like Microsoft holding back Windows 8.1 from the rest of the masses and making a deal with say Dell. Doesnt make too much sense from a financial standpoint

AlphaWlf6

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I can bet my bottom dollar that they'll do a realise with Verizon's model the shortly release it to everyone else very soon after.

The only reason I can think of that they aren't pushing out 4.3 is because only Nexus devices seem to have it for now. Knowingly enough that we'll have 4.2.2 through the end of the year and then they'll slap 4.3 on us as a "stop complaining already" kind of thing. Lol

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality35