4.3 ratio!

Izit legit

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
For those of you who have the nexus 9 how are you adjusting to the 4.3 aspect ratio? I like watch movies and play games on a tablet should I still get this?

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a Nexus 9, but I had an iPad which has the same 4:3 aspect ratio. Used it for both of those things. Gaming is great because they're designed specifically for that ratio, movie watching has never been a problem. You get used to those black bars. Seriously, if you like the tablet, but having second thoughts because of the screen, don't, just go grab one. I suggest you hold on for a couple of weeks though because currently N9 seems to be having some build quality issues.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm more of a reader than a video watcher, so I'm loving this aspect ratio on the Nexus 9. One of my favorite games, Golf Star is landscape orientation however, it does not look *quite* as good to me with 4:3 aspect ratio, less of a broad vista sense to the landscape graphics, but it plays faster and smoother than on my Nexus 7/10, so ask me if I care, LOL! Was afraid it would letterbox or scale funny, but it is fine.

I'd think it's a YMMV issue, you may be fine with 4:3 or may hate it if you hate letterboxing.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
For me I love the 4:3 ratio, even for videos. Even with the black bars, the space for the actual video is still larger than my old 7" tablet. Plus when you tap on the screen while watching, the video tools show up in the black bar area instead of on the video. I mostly use my tablet for things other than watching videos.

Trees138

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I quite like it.

I also like two thumbed swipe. It may be something you've always been able to do but until now I've never needed to try it. Still a little awkward, but neat that you can do it.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I am loving the 4:3 ratio, even for watching movies. The black bars blend into the black bezel, so you don't really notice them, especially in a dark room. The only alternative would be a 16:9 ratio, which works at the smaller sizes like the Nexus 7, but would simply look and feel odd at this size.

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I thought it would bug me when I first heard about it, but my old tablet was 4:3 also, so I've had zero issue with adjusting so far.

They have enough pixels to actually do 1920x1080, so I don't lose anything when I watch a video, which was my main concern.

Beyond that, I think that it actually looks a little better for reading than 16:9.

littleemp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No problems for me, but then again it's not like there isn't letterboxing on movies regardless of which device you choose (2.35:1 vs 16:10). The only thing I had a little trouble getting used to was the keyboard (I haven't used 10 inch tablets before this for very long), but I fixed it by using swiftkey and splitting it for thumb typing.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I had a little trouble getting used to was the keyboard (I haven't used 10 inch tablets before this for very long), but I fixed it by using swiftkey and splitting it for thumb typing.

I use SwiftKey as well but put it in floating mode so I can type one-handed like I do one my phone. I shrink it down to the smallest size although I wish I could make it smaller.

c41836aefa2c82d80608466cf5ca8c26.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk.

dcfc561

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought the black bars when watching a TV catchup app would mean the actual viewing area would be small but its much much better than what I expected, reading books on this is really good. Id only get 1 if you can really afford 1 and justify spending the money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc