4g or 3g

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So I've had three Verizon reps tell me to keep my phone on 4g. Something about it being a 4g phone and it will use more battery searching for 3g signal. Are they right? I'm in a relatively good 4g area so today it's been on 4g all day (down now to 50% after 11 hours). Anyway, do most people leave on 4g or 3g? And what is really the best setting (I rarely watch movies, etc).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
It is 4g that sucks battery life. I keep mine on Lte because this area is expanding coverage and daily I am noticing 4g in new places. You will have better battery life on 3g only, but why have a 4g phone? That is if it is available in your area...

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is 4g that sucks battery life. I keep mine on Lte because this area is expanding coverage and daily I am noticing 4g in new places. You will have better battery life on 3g only, but why have a 4g phone? That is if it is available in your area...
I have noticed 4g go in and out when even when I am in the exact same location. Don't know if it weather conditions or vz playing around with cell towers. Hope 4g finally stabilizes. I am in a 4g area according to vz map.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If your not in a good 4g area and the phone consistently switching from 3g to 4g your gonna use more battery, that I believe is fact.

I believe that 4g alone use more battery then 3g. I swear I can watch my battery drain while I surf the net on 4g.

I only turn on 4g when I need to download a large file, such as a movie or a like a 700 page PDF file (work dockets).

via Razr MAXX

crmwell

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Can you go through the steps to set this up for us mentally challenged smart phone users? i know how to get into smart actions but not sure how to proceed.

afranko22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called "smart actions." If you go in to the app, look at the samples. I use battery extender. I add a custom action for when the screen is off to disable data as well as background data and GPS. It really extends life but I lose my email notifications. If the trigger or action is to the right in the app, it is not activated. The individual events/actions look like a battery, the"positive terminal" has to touch the left side for it to be activated.

Hope this helps, I just tried to explain it to my parents this way.

Snowcrash45

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I dont see an option to disable LTE in smart actions. Am I missing something?

There is none. Just to disable mobile data completely which is not really a correct solution for most. There is currently no way to disable just lte but keep 3g on. There are widgets to take you to the setting screen for it but that is it. It's impossible to just disable lte in smart actions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: pawj112

afranko22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is none. Just to disable mobile data completely which is not really a correct solution for most. There is currently no way to disable just lte but keep 3g on. There are widgets to take you to the setting screen for it but that is it. It's impossible to just disable lte in smart actions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There is an easy way though. Go into settings> wireless and networks> mobile networks and select CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA. It takes 15 seconds to do if battery life is that big of an issue.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

Reactions: TauntingBull

hobbes1879

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
What Afranko said. But if you desire satisfaction now with less steps (and who doesn't?), check out the app 4G Toggle. It's free, and will take you directly to the settings screen Afranko mentioned. It works beautifully. And if you use Widgetsoid, you can incorporate it directly into a power control widget toggle strip dealy.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Basically, in the Smart Action you are going to set the Trigger to be display off and the Action for disable cellular data. I disable wifi as well. This way no matter what the situation, the battery isn't draining.
Now, if you're worried about not being able to receive emails or notifications, you can set up time frames within the Trigger setting so that periodically the data or wifi will turn back on even when the screen is off. This way you can still sync. Go into triggers for time frames and start creating new blocks of time, name them whatever, but make sure there's a check mark next to each one and that they're each set to run everyday. You can make the time data turns back on whatever you'd like. I set mine to turn the data back on for 15 minutes every 4 hours. So my first time frame is called A and it's set for 8:15 am to 12:00 pm. Second one is called B and it's set for 12:15 pm to 4:00 pm. And so on and so forth. Just create a full 24 hours of time frames and you'll be good to go. Your Triggers should read: Display off, Time Frame A or B or C or D or E or F. Your Actions should read: cellular data disable, wifi off. And last but not least to create all of this you have to make the rule from scratch. It's one of the options when you tap the green plus button within Smart Actions. Really long winded explanation and set up, but it's well worth it.

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4G toggle that I use. I turn off 4G when I really don't need it. I only turn 4G on when I am going to need it. Like browsing the web, downloading apps, uploading pics and videos...etc, etc. At home I'm on wifi so 4G isnt really needed. Other than that I don't need the 4G drain on my battery.

briang00

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I can honestly say that being on 4g all day makes a difference on battery life. I was on 3g all day yesterday and when I plugged it in around 10 pm I still had about 40%. Today on 4g at 2:30 pm I am about 60% already. Same amount of usage, same apps. But regardless 3g or 4g its a ton better than my Fassy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha