A hypothetical question regarding future versions of ICS for GN

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So I'm 2 weeks into ownership of this FANTASTIC device. I'm very impressed with it, especially when compared to the iPhone I came from. I have been experiencing a known "data drop" issue. It's very intermittent though, plus I'm on WiFi most of the time anyways. But like most (if not all), my baseband is that of the European origin. I unlocked my bootloader and flashed a North American radio, which didn't make a bit of difference (I did try several). I did some research and came across a topic of "RIL" files. I used the same "wug" program to root the device (or so I was led to believe). I also downloaded an app called "getRIL" which was supposed to update those files so that they match the baseband version. Long story short, the app said I needed to be rooted (which I supposedly was). At that point I gave up and flashed back to stock and unrooted.

So here's my thought...would it be realistic to expect in some future update to ICS, for the radio and RIL files to be of a North American origin for the devices that Google sells here in the states? Would that be a possibility? Or am I high on something for thinking that? Thoughts?

Centinel

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: A hypothetical question regarding future versions of ICS for

Try Franco's kernel in the mean time. For me, UGLC1 RIL/baseband + Franco kernel fixed the data drops.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

It should be fixed soon. Don't worry :)

Not worried at all. This is very intermittent and hasn't really been an issue in the sense that it has interfered with what I was doing. It's just something I noticed happening from time to time. No matter what, I'm sticking with this device because I really like it.

Try Franco's kernel in the mean time. For me, UGLC1 RIL/baseband + Franco kernel fixed the data drops.

Oh I think I'm done with rooting and whatnot. I tried it...failed miserably, and damn near gave myself a heart attack in the process. After flashing it back to stock, I had no working radio! Started to freak out, but it started working again after restarting the device. So yeah...that's something that I personally shouldn't be messing with. Guess I just don't have that "touch".

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Not worried at all. This is very intermittent and hasn't really been an issue in the sense that it has interfered with what I was doing. It's just something I noticed happening from time to time. No matter what, I'm sticking with this device because I really like it.

Oh I think I'm done with rooting and whatnot. I tried it...failed miserably, and damn near gave myself a heart attack in the process. After flashing it back to stock, I had no working radio! Started to freak out, but it started working again after restarting the device. So yeah...that's something that I personally shouldn't be messing with. Guess I just don't have that "touch".

Lol I nearly had a heart attack the first time I tried to root my GNex. Once you realize it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to brick a Nexus, you feel better. I'd encourage you to keep at it whenever you have time, it's half the fun of owning a Nexus. Plus once you start tinkering you get the itch to keep at it...I've rooted four of my friends' phones since December=/

More on topic though...I was also having signal issues and I tried a bunch of radios. I found that the UGLA4 (North America) radio gives me the best performance. I also used getRIL to ensure the RIL matched the baseband.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Lol I nearly had a heart attack the first time I tried to root my GNex. Once you realize it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to brick a Nexus, you feel better. I'd encourage you to keep at it whenever you have time, it's half the fun of owning a Nexus. Plus once you start tinkering you get the itch to keep at it...I've rooted four of my friends' phones since December=/

More on topic though...I was also having signal issues and I tried a bunch of radios. I found that the UGLA4 (North America) radio gives me the best performance. I also used getRIL to ensure the RIL matched the baseband.

Hey

How do you do getRIL?
I'm using my GNex with T-Mobile and so far I have the Brad luck with XXLA2 radio.

thanks.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site

Hey

How do you do getRIL?
I'm using my GNex with T-Mobile and so far I have the Brad luck with XXLA2 radio.

thanks.

Well first make sure you've got an unlocked bootloader and Clockwork Recovery on your device. Don't think you have to be rooted to flash a radio, but you will need to be rooted to use getRIL.

Next, you have to choose a baseband. I used this thread on xda to learn all about the radios/basebands. Check out posts #1 and #2.

Once you've downloaded and flashed the radio you want, go to getRIL and it will show you what RIL you currently have and whether or not it matches your current baseband. If so, you're good to go. If not, just select the correct RIL from the dropdown and hit "Download & install RIL". In a couple seconds, it should show you as having a matching baseband and RIL!

Personally, I tried about 4 different radios and YMMV depending on where you live etc. I'd suggest trying a few. As I mentioned earlier, I'm using UGLA4 and couldn't be happier. Have fun!

Edit: There's some stuff in the xda thread about backing up your current radio... I started to but just decided to throw caution to the wind. The way I see it, I've got a Nandroid back up so if I screw up the phone, I can restore it using Google's stock recovery image and then just restore my backup. But, that said, I've done this four times and nothing bad has happened:)

Reactions: rhea

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whymustimakeanaccount