A little help - getting the red "!" when going into Recovery

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
OK, I am trying to reflash 4.0.2 radios since I have been told that the OTA will give installation errors if I have the new radios flashed (I am unlocked and rooted, but still on stock 4.0.2 otherwise).

Whenever I try to go into recovery mode, whether manually (holding down the volumes, pressing power, then navigating to Recovery and pressing power), or using Rom Manager and telling it to reboot into Clockwork Recovery, I get the same thing:

the opened up Android with the red triangle with the "!".

It will sit there for a while, then just reboot normally and back to the OS, where everything runs as before.

So, what could the problem be?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, I am trying to reflash 4.0.2 radios since I have been told that the OTA will give installation errors if I have the new radios flashed (I am unlocked and rooted, but still on stock 4.0.2 otherwise).

Whenever I try to go into recovery mode, whether manually (holding down the volumes, pressing power, then navigating to Recovery and pressing power), or using Rom Manager and telling it to reboot into Clockwork Recovery, I get the same thing:

the opened up Android with the red triangle with the "!".

It will sit there for a while, then just reboot normally and back to the OS, where everything runs as before.

So, what could the problem be?

Most likely ==> CWM is missing/not stuck. You need to flash it over with either fastboot or Wug's Toolkit.

This happens b/c of a weirldy named file in your phone; for some reason it unsticks CWM and then it results in that exclamation point. I believe there was talk of this in one of Cyber Warrior's guides up top.

Also see this:

[HOW-TO] CWM on LTE Version through Rom Manager - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So, that would be true even if I try to get into recovery using fastboot?

Update: I reflashed CWM and that seemed to do the trick. It seems to be flashing the old radios now.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So, that would be true even if I try to get into recovery using fastboot?

You will have to flash recovery via fastboot or Wugs b/c it's "gone." It unstuck so it's no longer there, and I don't believe it reverts to the stock recovery (since it was replaced), hence the exclamation point.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Update: I reflashed CWM from within Rom Manager and that seemed to do the trick. It seems to be flashing the old radios now.

Restarting . . . says "Android is upgrading", don't remember that when flashing the 4.0.4 radios . . . interesting.

OK, finished and it now says baseband versions EK05 and EK02. Is that right for 4.0.2?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Update: I reflashed CWM from within Rom Manager and that seemed to do the trick. It seems to be flashing the old radios now.

Restarting . . . says "Android is upgrading", don't remember that when flashing the 4.0.4 radios . . . interesting.

OK, finished and it now says baseband versions EK05 and EK02. Is that right for 4.0.2?

Correct, those are the 4.0.2 radios.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, so now I should be set up to get the OTA. I will try that out when I get it, knowing that I may end up flashing a 4.0.4 ROM once any changes get built in. Oddly, the newer radios didn't seem to help me at all. I am thinking that is because there was not much wrong with them in the first place.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, so now I should be set up to get the OTA. I will try that out when I get it, knowing that I may end up flashing a 4.0.4 ROM once any changes get built in. Oddly, the newer radios didn't seem to help me at all. I am thinking that is because there was not much wrong with them in the first place.

Could be; user experiences tend to be "unique" with these things.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
When u flashed the 404 radios, did u also flash the 404 boot loader?
If so, you may need to flash back to 402 boot as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSun