A refreshingly unbiased review of the Nexus One

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that is one of the better reviews. It was posted on another forum awhile back and the merits of the benchmarks were debated, but the fairness and thouroughness of the review is not in question.

Endgadget and BG only wish they had the kind of professionalism that this review showed.

For the record, I'm not looking for blind fanboi reviews, or even positive reviews, just ones done in a professional manner. Endgadget and BG have lost their way and, imo, can no longer be trusted with mobile device reviews as they have become compromised. IMO, their mobile device reviews now border on the unethical.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Yeah that is one of the better reviews. It was posted on another forum awhile back and the merits of the benchmarks were debated, but the fairness and thouroughness of the review is not in question.

Endgadget and BG only wish they had the kind of professionalism that this review showed.

For the record, I'm not looking for blind fanboi reviews, or even positive reviews, just ones done in a professional manner. Endgadget and BG have lost their way and, imo, can no longer be trusted with mobile device reviews as they have become compromised. IMO, their mobile device reviews now border on the unethical.

I will tell you exactly how I see it. With all of the devices I've used I have no issue ripping on a device or glorifying it as long as I see fit.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, I'm not worried about you. Just sites that try to pass themselves off as unbiased bastions and then proceed to mislead folks....such as endgadget and boygenius.

DrewCSchultz

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree to this also. I feel like gizmodo has slowly become that way as well. Every other post is akin to what the head custodian at the iphone plant had for breakfast. It's getting extremely annoying. I just want the Apple conference to be over with already, so we can get this behind us.

Not that I hate Apple or anything, I just can't stand all the speculation articles about what the islate MIGHT be like.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't say this review isn't biased..cause it is. It is biased toward the Nexus 1. Not that it is a bad thing. Just saying they don't say anything bad about the N1. It's like saying MSNBC isn't Biased.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The difference is they at least used objective data to come to a lot of their conclusions, as opposed to bg and endgadget, who basically spent five minutes with the device and called it a review.

The real shame however is that endgadget has the resources to do a real review with benchmarks and objective data, yet they simply do not do it. I wonder why this is? I don't know for sure, but it's a real shame that a site such as endgadget cannot be more professional.

Now, that said, the review posted in this thread is open to debate: the benchmarks and how the tests were set up are all fair game, etc.., but at least there is data to pour over and debate, as opposed to the endgadget and bg reviews, which were nothing but fluff, with NOT ONE piece of insightful information or data.

If anyone wonders why I'm interested in this topic, it's because there was a time when I craved endgadget reviews. They used to be the cream of the crop. Now, they are just another of the ten reviews you need to read to get some kind of idea about a given device. They sure as hell don't offer definitive reviews any longer. THAT IS A SHAME FOR US ALL.

The question still remains, though: why would a site such as endgadget, mostly in the business of putting forth electronic, computing and mobile device reviews and news, skimp on a review of a major new mobile device? Why would they NOT spend a little more money and time and provide benchmarks and objective data, along with some insightful remarks about the device?

WHY? Makes no sense to me unless bias is at play. Purposeful bias. Regardless, their reviews, imo, can no longer be trusted until something changes.

Last edited:

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Engadget's editors all seem to have become Apple fanbois lately, Josh on down, EVERYTHING is compared in a negative manner to Apple's products if there is one. Once in a while they do good, the Nokia N900 review wasn't such an obvious hack job as the N1 one.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
After using the N1 for a day now I can honestly say the review posted by the OP is pretty accurate. And I have an iPhone 3GS, Moto Droid, and have had countless number of other devices. Don't think this was biased at all.

PortareAF

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Of course none of you think it is bias...you own the phone and it says it is great, with few flaws. Just curious did everyone enjoy your service going out last week? Once on Vzw it might be great, but until then, any phone not on VZW is a second class phone (insert person attempting to get service on iphone here)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Of course none of you think it is bias...you own the phone and it says it is great, with few flaws. Just curious did everyone enjoy your service going out last week? Once on Vzw it might be great, but until then, any phone not on VZW is a second class phone (insert person attempting to get service on iphone here)

I agree to a certain degree but it's just not the case with me. I'm honest about every device I own and know there is no such thing as a perfect device. Whether I own it or not. From the sounds of it you seem to be just a bit biased towards your carrier... :rolleyes:

I'm on AT&T and have perfect service so I did not experience the outage and yes my AT&T service is better than my Verizon service. That's a whole other thread though so lets not even go there in this thread.

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site

I was at work during the 2-3 hours while Google/T-Mobile sorted their issues out

Not sure what your point or the big deal is

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

RIM has occasional outages too. It happens.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
RIM has occasional outages too. It happens.
Yeah I've never had an issue with AT&T coverage no matter my device....and I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma :D 3G, EDGE, I get it all, all the time.

Now, RIM and BIS outages? Had them all the time. It was a pain in the ass sometimes.

Joene

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Outages seem like a network problem to me. So, don't point your fingers at the device, point them at those giant companies that keep ripping you off! I'm glad in Belgium there are laws to protect consumers from the malpractices you guys are suffering in the US (e.g. you want an Iphone? well you'll have to switch carriers and pay a superexpensive data-plan, no other way to get it). It is just sad.

Yahma

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I live in Los Angeles and didn't even realize there was a data service outage.. Must have been pretty short outage, as everything works fine for me.

Over here I get better coverage with T-Mobile than I did on my iPhone with AT&T. I also pay alot less, so I can't complain!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCheekyDinosaur