A way to update apps that have been put to deep sleep?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I really like the feature that puts apps that are unused for a while to deep sleep, but the annoyance there is that when I do run that app, and there is an update to that app, I am often forced to update that app at that time. It's annoying because of that extra time needed now to use that app.

Is there any way to update all apps, including those that are in deep sleep - rather than have to actually use that app before it will be recognized as needing an update? I haven't found a way and going to the app settings there is no way seemingly to set to update the app while in deep sleep.

I want to keep these apps in deep sleep, but also would like the apps updated where there are updates.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way of doing it is to remove that app from the 'Deep Sleep' list (and unfortunately this has to be done per app). Sleeping apps do receive updates automatically (albeit more sporadically), but deep-sleeping apps do not (think of it as disabling a system app; it is not uninstalled, but everything about it is inert).

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The only way of doing it is to remove that app from the 'Deep Sleep' list (and unfortunately this has to be done per app). Sleeping apps do receive updates automatically (albeit more sporadically), but deep-sleeping apps do not (think of it as disabling a system app; it is not uninstalled, but everything about it is inert).
This is what I suspected and that being the reason why the Play Store won't detect an update to the app. Thanks for confirming!

Reactions: Laura Knotek

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is what I suspected and that being the reason why the Play Store won't detect an update to the app. Thanks for confirming!
Yup. I wish Samsung had an option to disable deep-sleep while keeping the sleep optimization instead of an 'all on/all off' switch, but oh well, at least you CAN disable deep sleep for each app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So far from what I seen deep sleeping apps get updated on mine , that feature just prevent notification for the app in that state so it's not running but shouldn't prevent from updating when available .

Reactions: monsieurms

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So far from what I seen deep sleeping apps get updated on mine , that feature just prevent notification for the app in that state so it's not running but shouldn't prevent from updating when available .
That is correct (although sleeping apps may also delay updates, they would, eventually, get them within the week). However, DEEP sleep apps are basically disabled apps, so the system by default doesn't include them in the app list (thus, no automatic updates until they are re-enabled).

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Just curious, why would you want to update them. Seems pointless. Once you wake them you can update and use but in the mean time I wouldn't give them a second thought.
In my opinion, if you are using apps in deep sleep enough for this to be an issue. Maybe they shouldn't be.
I know with Samsung you can turn off auto deep sleep.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That is correct (although sleeping apps may also delay updates, they would, eventually, get them within the week). However, DEEP sleep apps are basically disabled apps, so the system by default doesn't include them in the app list (thus, no automatic updates until they are re-enabled).
Hmm might be right, have to look further into it.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, why would you want to update them. Seems pointless. Once you wake them you can update and use but in the mean time I wouldn't give them a second thought.
In my opinion, if you are using apps in deep sleep enough for this to be an issue. Maybe they shouldn't be.
I know with Samsung you can turn off auto deep sleep.
Because it's an annoyance to have to update the app right at the point of trying to use the app. Sometimes some apps just can't be used until updated and it's usually at an undesirable time for me.

Easycure1974

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Because it's an annoyance to have to update the app right at the point of trying to use the app. Sometimes some apps just can't be used until updated and it's usually at an undesirable time for me.
Exactly my reason also. Aurora Store works great, often finding updates earlier than they are found in Play Store

Reactions: KupKrazy

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my reason also. Aurora Store works great, often finding updates earlier than they are found in Play Store
Do you know if the Aurora Store gets its apps from the Play Store? Or is it its own repository of apps? I read that it was a front end of the Play Store so that makes me think the apps themselves are still pulled from the App Store. I can't seem to find that info. But you are right - I took a look and sure enough there is an option to include disabled apps for updates. I turned that on and jeez, I have (ahem) well over a hundred apps that are "disabled" and out of date. But just unsure where the apps are coming from and whether or not there is a chance the apps could be hacked.

Easycure1974

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Do you know if the Aurora Store gets its apps from the Play Store? Or is it its own repository of apps? I read that it was a front end of the Play Store so that makes me think the apps themselves are still pulled from the App Store. I can't seem to find that info. But you are right - I took a look and sure enough there is an option to include disabled apps for updates. I turned that on and jeez, I have (ahem) well over a hundred apps that are "disabled" and out of date. But just unsure where the apps are coming from and whether or not there is a chance the apps could be hacked.
It fetches the update from the Play Store. It is just a bit better displaying that an update is available. Often it finds update that is not showing up in Play Store if you just check för updates. But if you open the applications own page in Play Store an update can be available but not showing in the update list.

Reactions: KupKrazy and jtfwTX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12