aaaaah! rom flashing questions(before i go crazy)

arlimes

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. I am new to the Rom and root thing so I NEED help. I rooted my phone(HTC Hero CDMA) 3 days ago and want to flash cm7 to it. Downloaded WiFi tether off the market(guessing there's much better free ones but the hero doesn't get Google play only outdated market stuff) and tried using it to download cm7 on my laptop. Everytime I would be almost done with the DL my battery would have a 125 battery temp from running the tether and die. It then wouldn't start for about 20 mins after that.

So moral of the story my phone sucks. Just kidding. I'm wondering if there is a way to download the Rom and move it to my card from mobile web. 'Cause sense blows, the hero is trying to commit suicide, and android 2.1 is pissing me off.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
For recovery, download it from here ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries and for the ROM, get it from here CyanogenMod Downloads. No need tot tether the laptop, it can be all done on the phone. Once you've dowloaded them, use a file explorer like ES to find and run the .apk for the recovery, or go into the recovery you already have and flash the ROM directly. Hope that helps you out. And BTW, the Hero will always get super hot with extensive tethering. The best way I found to help combat that, is to make sure th screen is off, and also pull off any case you might have, as well as the battery cover.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
ROM manager is available for free from the Market. Do a quick search and it will come up. Also, be sure to backup the phone before flashing anything as a precaution.

The mighty Hero gets hot pretty fast when tethered. I'd suggest giving it a break if you tether long sessions at a time.

Also check in the Hero forum for useful information. The forum is really slow but there are still good people checking in to help out.

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Glad it helped you out. I loved my Hero for the two years I used it. And now it makes a nice Android wi-fi music device. :)

arlimes

May 24, 2012
Visit site
That's the plan for the device when I get my gs2 in 30 days. Curse my account holder for wanting to wait to gimme the phone until she gets the refund lmao.