Address Book Sync Tutorial (Mac to Gmail)

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
This is my first tutorial, so be nice. :D

Being a mac user, I wanted a way to get the contacts I had on my iPhone onto my android device. Apple makes this very simple!

Before Starting this process you need to make sure you have the gmail account you are going to be using with your android up and running, and also created an archive of your address book to protect your info before syncing!

To do this open Address Book:
Select File --> Export --> Address Book Archive

Save the file wherever you want. You can restore from this file if anything goes wrong with the sync.

Once you have created an archive follow these steps:

1) Open Address Book and Select Address Book at the top of the screen to bring down the menu.

2) Select Preferences to bring up this pane:

View attachment 33

3)Check the box that says "Synchronize with Google" and you will see this window pop up with some disclaimer info. Read it!

View attachment 34

At this point if you have not made a backup of your contacts, do not accept terms and from the "File" drop-down of address book, export an archive of your address book. Better safe than sorry.
After you have done this return to the general prefs tab as in steps 1 - 3.

4) Once you have accepted the terms, you will see this pane asking you to sign in to your Gmail account. It will then walk you through the rest of the process.

View attachment 35

If there are any problems with this tutorial, or any steps I've missed let me know and I will edit them. Thank you for reading! Good luck with the syncing!

BoB_BaRkEr187

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Could you please do a step by step to export contact's from a Blackberry to a new Droid phone? I am coming from a Storm to the new Droid and would really appreciate the help. I already have a gmail account if that helps with the transfer. Thanks in advance!

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey Bob,

Sorry for taking so long to get to this. I have been very preoccupied with the non technical aspects of life. :)

Best thing I have found for the blackberry switch is to use the download-able google app on the blackberry to export the contacts directly to gmail making them available automatically on the droid. I am assuming however that you have already made the switch so unless you have a berry with wifi, this option is dead to you unless you want to re-activate your berry long enough to back it up to google. :)

The work around would be to back up the berry, and then converting the backup file to CSV format (the format importable by gmail manually). A good program for this is ABC Amber Blackberry Converter which can be found here and here. Unless you pay the 19.99 they want for it, you can only export 10 contacts at a time, but it still works.

Once you have the contacts converted, log in to gmail, go to contacts, select import and point the computer to the CVS file/files. Hope this hepls. Good luck.

knick007

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
hey
Thanks very informitive except for some reason I can't get it to work.... Just thought I'd point out that if you wanted to update it for lion the "Synchronize with Google" box is now under accounts not general

renredux

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
This is my first tutorial, so be nice. :D

Being a mac user, I wanted a way to get the contacts I had on my iPhone onto my android device. Apple makes this very simple!

Before Starting this process you need to make sure you have the gmail account you are going to be using with your android up and running, and also created an archive of your address book to protect your info before syncing!

To do this open Address Book:
Select File --> Export --> Address Book Archive

Save the file wherever you want. You can restore from this file if anything goes wrong with the sync.

Once you have created an archive follow these steps:

1) Open Address Book and Select Address Book at the top of the screen to bring down the menu.

2) Select Preferences to bring up this pane:

View attachment 33

3)Check the box that says "Synchronize with Google" and you will see this window pop up with some disclaimer info. Read it!

View attachment 34

At this point if you have not made a backup of your contacts, do not accept terms and from the "File" drop-down of address book, export an archive of your address book. Better safe than sorry.
After you have done this return to the general prefs tab as in steps 1 - 3.

4) Once you have accepted the terms, you will see this pane asking you to sign in to your Gmail account. It will then walk you through the rest of the process.

View attachment 35

If there are any problems with this tutorial, or any steps I've missed let me know and I will edit them. Thank you for reading! Good luck with the syncing!
where do contacts appear in my gmail account?

meteorman69

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I am having format issues. I imported my Address Book vCard .VCF files into Gmail but the First and Lst name fields are populated by the company names so you see company name listed twice when I import into my Blackberry.

I believe this is a format issue limitation.

Is there a work around or way to correct this?

I have 2108 contacts with most being customer contacts associated to a business name.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akaalid