Advanced Wi-Fi?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Does anyone use advanced Wi-Fi or know what the advantages of it might be? I am on Verizon not sure if it is like this for people that purchased their pixels directly through google. When I go into Wi-Fi then click on the 3 dots then advanced, I have Install certificates,
Wi-Fi direct, WPS Push Button, and WPS Pin Entry. What are these settings for and when should they be used? I have never really experimented to see what these are or what they might do and am very curious

Thank you

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's just various settings for setting up wifi. There is nothing that will change how it works.. it's mainly for some network (like a work Network) that may require a certain certificate to be on the device to authenticate with the network.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! Was just wondering if I had to worry about it or if there were any special advantages to using it, or if it would make any kind of difference in my home. I appreciate the info

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Was just wondering if I had to worry about it or if there were any special advantages to using it, or if it would make any kind of difference in my home. I appreciate the info

No worries. I should correct my post before -- it'll only change how it connects depending on the network but as for performance and stuff that'll be the same :).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Does anyone use advanced Wi-Fi or know what the advantages of it might be? I am on Verizon not sure if it is like this for people that purchased their pixels directly through google. When I go into Wi-Fi then click on the 3 dots then advanced, I have Install certificates,
Wi-Fi direct, WPS Push Button, and WPS Pin Entry. What are these settings for and when should they be used? I have never really experimented to see what these are or what they might do and am very curious

Thank you

There are WPS routers and connecting to those wifi routers works a bit different. last 2 of those WPS settings are for WPS routers

How to Connect Your Android Tablet to a WPS Router - dummies

WIFI Direct:
This can be used to connect 2 wifi devices directly(rather than connecting 2 device to a router).
This settings is particularly useful when 2 device wants to transfer file when there is no wifi.

install certificate is used to install wifi certificate(this is mostly done for work)

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Just a bit of a note on security:

WPS is not necessarily considered secure, and I'm not sure if the Android Wi-Fi direct vulnerability is fixed or not. I'm not delving into the risk or mitigation of Wi-Fi direct, it could be perfectly fine in certain environments, but if you have WPS enabled on your access point you might want to look into what you're risks are. And if you don't know what it is or does, then you are unlikely to use it, and so should turn it off at the access point.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe