Advice: is this phone (p20 pro) any good ??

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Most reviews say the p20 pro is the phone of the year. but all i read is problems problems problems from real time users.

My mate 9 amazingly is still going strong but it is time for an upgrade. ive passed on the note 8 and the s9's along with the v30 and most other phones.

my list goes from the

p20 pro
mate 10 pro
v30
htc u12+
sammy s9+
ONEPLUS 6

but here i sit with my trusty mate 9.....

any positives from p20 pro users..

(Tmo USA).

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie but coming from Samsung s8+ I really miss their UI I find Samsung is a bit cleaner. I'm still getting use to the EMUI. I do find the Huawei P20 Pro smoother than my S8+ surprisingly even though it's an older CPU. Overall Camera has been pretty good. Although their portrait mode takes a while to get use too but a lot of awesome filters if you like to play around with that. I hate downloading or adding different camera apps just to use one filter. Huawei camera alone has abundance of them.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had a P20 Pro for a few days. I got it on launch day. It's back in the box awaiting a return authorization.

My thoughts:
EMUI: Buggy, buggy, and buggy. Notifications are screwy, it randomly plays the default tone, even though it's set to something else.
Apps (such as Nova Launcher) randomly crash.

Camera: In a word; terrible. White balance is spotty, image processing is terrible. Pics are either over sharpened to the point that edges look like stairs, or they are blotchy with no details when viewed at full size.

I have owned A LOT of flagships (2-3 per year, every year). I have never been this disappointed in a phone. It's not ready for prime time.

The battery life and hardware is great, but the software isn't ready for prime time.

Truman82

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Coming from iPhone X, this phone is absolutely a keeper.
Camera is excellent and far better than iPhone had. (daylight performance on par) but do note in not a "pixel peeper" so I just want to take nice pictures and share them to social media. And in this matter pictures taken with this gives me more "woah" comments than any other has.
Battery life is excellent
Screen is excellent
Feeling of the phone is just quality
Software side... Well this is Android and takes some time to get used to the fact that some times apps crash and some other things acts weird. For example Netflix many times gives me error that it can't playback a video. Gotta clear cache or just wait for it to work. Annoys me a lot. But. For me pros weights more than the cons do on this phone. And by far.
I also like that I can tune the UI in a way Apple didn't let me.
One thing that annoyed me was the fact that if you send picture via stock Android messages app, it pixelated the picture horribly. Good news is that as this is Android, it let me get another app for normal messaging.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Most reviews say the p20 pro is the phone of the year. but all i read is problems problems problems from real time users.

My mate 9 amazingly is still going strong but it is time for an upgrade. ive passed on the note 8 and the s9's along with the v30 and most other phones.

my list goes from the

p20 pro
mate 10 pro
v30
htc u12+
sammy s9+
ONEPLUS 6

but here i sit with my trusty mate 9.....

any positives from p20 pro users..

(Tmo USA).

I love mine more than my iPhone X and S9+. I put pixel launcher on mine. It's fantastic. If you like the mate series you'll love it.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Everyone... just ordered the p20 pro. the V30 U12plus and oneplus 6 all failed to capture my attention like the p20 pro. as far as the note9 and sammie s9+ I had no interest in going back to sammie....

thanks again :)

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
For pixel launcher the store says it is not available for my device?

If you Google pixel launcher apk you can go to a site and install it outside the store. If you don't feel comfortable with that get nova launcher. It's just as good and has more customization.

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
A question on the Euro power charger (Plug) that this phone comes with. the company i purchased it from will supply a north america plug but what about fast charging ??? will it still work ??

Last edited:

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Coming from iPhone X, this phone is absolutely a keeper.
Camera is excellent and far better than iPhone had. (daylight performance on par) but do note in not a "pixel peeper" so I just want to take nice pictures and share them to social media. And in this matter pictures taken with this gives me more "woah" comments than any other has.
Battery life is excellent
Screen is excellent
Feeling of the phone is just quality
Software side... Well this is Android and takes some time to get used to the fact that some times apps crash and some other things acts weird. For example Netflix many times gives me error that it can't playback a video. Gotta clear cache or just wait for it to work. Annoys me a lot. But. For me pros weights more than the cons do on this phone. And by far.
I also like that I can tune the UI in a way Apple didn't let me.
One thing that annoyed me was the fact that if you send picture via stock Android messages app, it pixelated the picture horribly. Good news is that as this is Android, it let me get another app for normal messaging.

I installed Textra so pictures I send wouldn't be compressed like crazy. That's a problem with messages that doesn't let you set the limit and defaults to some really small file size. If you read the reviews slot of complaints about this.

I've read about the Netflix issues before and I believe it's an issue with EMUI. You might need to research that.

knutars

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Whatever you choose, make sure the battery is powerful. After switching to P 20 Pro, my battery anxiety has totally vanished. I can't stress enough how good I feel about never having to worry about battery life. From now on this will be the single most important factor when I consider any new phone.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Whatever you choose, make sure the battery is powerful. After switching to P 20 Pro, my battery anxiety has totally vanished. I can't stress enough how good I feel about never having to worry about battery life. From now on this will be the single most important factor when I consider any new phone.
Same with me. Watching people asking for a charger every day makes me chuckle to myself now.

kevininwales

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Smooth, no bugs, notifications and stock apps look good. I've got Action Launcher installed cos I don't standard Android 'desktop' but that was the same on my Samsungs. I came from the Samsung S8+ having started with the S2, I'm really pleased I made the change and can't see any reason to go back.

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Out of the 128GB's how much memory do you get to play with?
The firmware takes 8 gig so you have plenty to play with

And to the original question I have had no probs at all with mine been flawless super quick battery is ace. Emui is ok to use once you're used to it and has some good customisation within itself. I just used nova but I use that anyway and did on my 6p

Last edited:

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
ive had this phone for around two weeks now and really starting to love it. coming from a mate 9 the size seemed a bit small. everything else seemed great. no real hip-cups

using nova along with glance plus as my AOD. battery is outstanding as is the camera... zero regrets !!

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
The firmware takes 8 gig so you have plenty to play with

And to the original question I have had no probs at all with mine been flawless super quick battery is ace. Emui is ok to use once you're used to it and has some good customisation within itself. I just used nova but I use that anyway and did on my 6p

Thanks. May get this phone if the battery on the HTC U12+ is rubbish just waiting for reviews & other peoples thoughts on the battery.

What's this phones screen like outside in bright sun light & does this phone come with any screen protector on it? On one video it looked like it came with a screen protector on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol