Advice on Android connectivity

pandipi

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but it's clear that there's a lot of knowledge here, so my question will be very easy for someone. I've searched the internet for an answer, but most of the relevant postings are very geeky - full of jargon that I don't understand. Here's my question:

I recently bought an android tablet - I have lots of photos and MP3 files on it. I also have an iPhone 4, again with lots of music on it. Not my choice, it comes with the job! I also have a laptop with iTunes and lots of music and photos.

I've just bought an Android v9 TV box from amazon. So far (a few days old) it's great for: BBC iPlayer; Skype; streaming films; internet radio. What I'd like it to do, in addition, is connect to either my pc, or iPhone or tablet wirelessly, to stream music and photos. Can this be done? And if so, without getting into lots of jargon, do I install an App on both sending and receiving device?

Anything else I should know about the Android TV box? The instructions were next to useless, so what I know so far is what I have managed to find out for myself through trial and error.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
While I'm sure that it is very frustrating to not receive an answer to a question that really irritates you, the hostility is really not helpful. You need to understand that there are hundreds of threads created daily. While I personally do my best to read through as many unanswered threads as possible, it is not unheard of that I, or any of the moderating team or ambassadors, may not have a direct answer for you. We may not have any experience with the device in question, or may simply be looking for advice to offer. That being said, I do not know the answer to your question, nor did I upon first reading it a few days ago. I thought perhaps someone with experience would step forward, but since they haven't, I will do my best to try and find you an answer if one has not come forward in the morning. It is currently 00:32 here, and the first day of school is tomorrow. Again, I apologize that you haven't yet been assisted, but please, don't be so quick to judge us. We really are a helpful bunch.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and please be patient. As you may have noticed, there are a lot of new posts every day, and some don't get answered immediately or even in the first couple of days. If you haven't gotten an answer, all you need to do is bump your post with a reply asking for a little more help.

It's always helpful to give us a little more detail. For example, what is the exact brand and name of this TV box? What version of Android is it running? What region of the world do you live in?

Part of the issue is that the Android TV box you bought is not a common item, so it is unlikely that many people who frequent these forums know much about it. My guess is that it's some kind of standalone device running Android (and most likely an old version of Android) that essentially makes your TV a display for that device. If this Android TV box doesn't give you access to the Google Play Store, Amazon Appstore, or any other 3rd party app stores, then you're probably stuck with the apps that came preloaded. As such, it is doubtful that you'd be able to stream music or photos from your other devices to it, because that would require installing the appropriate software on the TV box.

Doing a quick search on Amazon, I'm assuming that this is the device that you have: Amazon.com: Mygica V9 Android TV Box - HDD Media Player + WIFI + 4G by PSK: MP3 Players & Accessories. The product description notes that it runs Android 2.2, which is 3 major versions behind what is current (Android is up to 4.3 at this point). This makes it even less likely that you'd be able to stream from your phones to the box.

It sounds like Chromecast might be what you're looking for, but availability depends on where in the world you live.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Or is it this one that you bought? DroidBOX V9 Quad Core RK3188 Android 4.2 TV Box - Free: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or this one? https://twitter.com/Scicent/status/333969848038199297/photo/1

Or this one? China Android TV Box from Shenzhen Manufacturer: Shenzhen DiyoMate Electronics Technology Co., Ltd

I'm not trying to be funny here, but you can see the difficulty trying to answer your question. With a quick Google search, I unearthed 4 different (and fairly obscure) Android devices that are called some version of "V9 TV box."

pandipi

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, my apologies for impatience. Just frustrating to have a new toy with no instructions. Yes it's the Droidbox V9 Quad Core box linked above.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but it's clear that there's a lot of knowledge here, so my question will be very easy for someone. I've searched the internet for an answer, but most of the relevant postings are very geeky - full of jargon that I don't understand. Here's my question:

I recently bought an android tablet - I have lots of photos and MP3 files on it. I also have an iPhone 4, again with lots of music on it. Not my choice, it comes with the job! I also have a laptop with iTunes and lots of music and photos.

I've just bought an Android v9 TV box from amazon. So far (a few days old) it's great for: BBC iPlayer; Skype; streaming films; internet radio. What I'd like it to do, in addition, is connect to either my pc, or iPhone or tablet wirelessly, to stream music and photos. Can this be done? And if so, without getting into lots of jargon, do I install an App on both sending and receiving device?

Anything else I should know about the Android TV box? The instructions were next to useless, so what I know so far is what I have managed to find out for myself through trial and error.

Welcome to the forums!
As far as connectivity, does the TV have a bluetooth radio? Does it have Wifi? You may not be able to install any apps if it can't connect to the internet.

pandipi

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it has both bluetooth and wifi. Wifi is working fine, and i've installed a few apps. Not sure what use the bluetooth is though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you install Google Play Music? Then you could upload all of your music to the Google cloud and just stream it that way. And if you can install Google+, you could upload your photos to the cloud and view them that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

pandipi

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Can you install Google Play Music? Then you could upload all of your music to the Google cloud and just stream it that way. And if you can install Google+, you could upload your photos to the cloud and view them that way.

I've never used the 'cloud' - do I need to pay to use it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm referring to the Google Music cloud. If you have a Google account, you can upload up to 20000 songs to your Google Music account for free, which can then be streamed to any device that has web access to Google Music, or that has the app installed.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm referring to the Google Music cloud. If you have a Google account, you can upload up to 20000 songs to your Google Music account for free, which can then be streamed to any device that has web access to Google Music, or that has the app installed.

I've never used the 'cloud' - do I need to pay to use it?

I am curious about this: If it can connect to Wifi, and possibly cloud services, can it attach say a Dropbox account, to then wirelessly stream music, and pics? That may be an option. If it is, this does a few things: 1. Satisfies your streaming. 2. Gives you a backup option for your pictures at least. 3. Exposes you to what a cloud service can do and how it can be beneficial.

Be advised: Dropbox is a great cloud storage service. They give you a small amount of storage for just signing up, I think 500MB. Now, they do have deals that constantly go on. For me, because I tied an Android device, they gave me 50GB of storage. You refer friends, you get more, etc. The free ones I mentioned are on a time limit, like a year of two. You can pay for storage, so you won't have to worry about it expiring.

alfonso molina

May 14, 2015
Visit site
S.O.S , i wont buy more mygica devices because for a bad upgrade i cant make use of them, because mygica hasnt a pc tool software for recover the device from the computer and for make more sure the upgrade of mygica devices also...

But if i can learn to recover the mygica devices from inside , i will still buying this mark of high quality.

For this reason i need a detailed video or stuff of how unbrick mygica atv 1200 from inside, thanks...

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke