advice welcomed

Rula

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Greetings & Thank you to all in advance for sharing your thoughts & experiences.
I'm in the market for a new phone, willing to change carriers or even go 'unlocked' but my son tells me it must be an Android phone.

The features I'm looking for are (not necessarily listed in importance order):
1 - Great telephone quality: ease of making calls, sound quality on & off speaker, ease of retrieving VM
2 - excellent camera & video: quality of pics, ease of use, control of flash, easy to download to computer or email from phone
3 - easy, fast internet browsing experience, minimal annoying scale/size issues
4 - video keyboard, not buttons, Swype available if not pre-installed
5 - I would like to be able to have my regular yahoo email account become the default email on the phone. is such a thing even do-able?
6 - good battery life, especially for a 'talker'

Of course the phone needs to sit comfortably in my hands, and while that's not really something one can take advice on , I would like to be able to perform as many of the tasks listed above in one-handed mode without requiring extraordinary dexterity, so your input will be valuable in this regard.

I never text, and will not be doing so in the future, not a music downloader, might like to access some 'apps' if they seem life-useful, not a video game player.

Thank you,
non techie middle aged mamma

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! :) I would recommend the HTC Incredible to you. It has a moderate size screen and it runs HTC's Sense User interface which is great for somebody new to android. The battery will get you through the day since you are not a heavy game player. It is available through Verizon Wireless for $149.99 if you buy it in a Verizon store or $99.99 if you buy it online through verizonwireless.com. Swype is available to download through Swype's beta program on swype.com.

If you have any more questions, let me know!
SUB-dawg :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rula

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Rula.

Welcome.gif
to AndroidCentral

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to A/C.

First check out carriers that work well in your area, then go from there. All carriers have android devices and they all have great Android devices, it really comes down to carrier and what works in your neighborhood.

Rula

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
then what...

Dear BBStorm 9530>BBStorm 9550,

I currently have ATT on a 3 yr old Samsung Eternity which i hate to the point that I keep it for emergency use only and tell callers I'll call them back when i reach a landline! The photos are okay, but the internet browsing is rough, even using downloaded Opera software. i'm sure this sounds all very Antique...
Strength of reception has been excellent, and am currently part of a 4 member family with ATT, all with different phones, but we can change since contract is fulfilled.
The biggest problem we all have had with ATT is really poor customer service in their storefronts regarding phone advice. Throughout the years with ATT inaccurate information has been a constant.:mad:
Thus my post here.
In our area, Sprint is the only dud as regards reception.
I'm open to buying an unlocked phone & keeping the ATT service.

I want
1 - a great telephone - with some speeddial functionality
2 - good camera w/video
3 - easy internet browsing
4 - use of my regular yahoo email accounts
a short learning curve is aceptable.

Rula

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Welcome! :) I would recommend the HTC Incredible to you. It has a moderate size screen and it runs HTC's Sense User interface which is great for somebody new to android. The battery will get you through the day since you are not a heavy game player. It is available through Verizon Wireless for $149.99 if you buy it in a Verizon store or $99.99 if you buy it online through verizonwireless.com. Swype is available to download through Swype's beta program on swype.com.

If you have any more questions, let me know!
SUB-dawg :cool:
SUB-dawg,
Have you actually used the Incredible? How was the sound quality through the handset against the ear? through speaker?
Thanks

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
SUB-dawg,
Have you actually used the Incredible? How was the sound quality through the handset against the ear? through speaker?
Thanks

Yes. The speakerphone is loud and the earpiece also produces clean and loud sound. My aunt owns the Incredible and loves it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoDo1975