o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I wear my watch daily and for the third time this year it detected me being in AFib. Anyone with this problem or just any heart issue should wear one my cardiologist always recommends them.

Just figured I put this out there in case it can help someone else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It'd be important for a doctor to review the actual EKG tracing. I know the Galaxy Watch 3 received FDA approval as an EKG device, but I'd still wonder how accurate its interpretation is. For example, if a person had frequent premature atrial contractions (which would not be a-fib), I wonder if a watch like that might incorrectly read it as a-fib.

This is also why just feeling an irregular pulse wouldn't necessarily mean a-fib.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Correct, I'm a physician and you cannot diagnose A-fib by merely taking a pulse. There many irregular hear beats that would give an irregular pulse, including PAC as B. Diddy said, heart-block, Wenkebache, just to name a few. The GA2 can suggest A-fib based on the baseline p waves, pr interval, but should be confirmed with a 12 lead EKG. Like the fruit watch, it suspects it and warns you to get checked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Correct, I'm a physician and you cannot diagnose A-fib by merely taking a pulse. There many irregular hear beats that would give an irregular pulse, including PAC as B. Diddy said, heart-block, Wenkebache, just to name a few. The GA2 can suggest A-fib based on the baseline p waves, pr interval, but should be confirmed with a 12 lead EKG. Like the fruit watch, it suspects it and warns you to get checked.

Just curious, any idea how any of these watches actually obtains the EKG? Typically, you need at least two electrodes on two different parts of the body, right? So is the watch using two separate electrodes on the back of the watch body in contact with the wrist? Or is the user supposed to touch the watch with a finger on their other hand in order to complete the circuit?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My watch was accurate when I went to the hospital the doctor and I tested and it was dead on showing AFib.

Right, I'm sure the watch is pretty sensitive (i.e., it won't miss many episodes of a-fib). But I wonder how specific it is (i.e., how many false positives might be seen)?

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
When I say by taking a pulse, I am referring to using your finger. You can't use your finger to diagnose Afib, you need at least a rhythm strip, which is sort of what the watch does. Yes, the watch could be "dead on" as you say, but again, should be confirmed by a 12 lead EKG to avoid the chance of false positive based on another similar dysrhythmia.