After Spending Extended Time

rnich120

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
So I have had this phone now for about 2 months after being one of the lucky people to sample the phone for LG.

Now while was happy with the phone, I'm starting to find little things which are beginning to tarnish the experience that I originally had with the device.

These are the main two

Firstly, the camera.

I hating the fact that I am now having to use the manual mode more and more to get the screen to be light enough to give me a picture that I can see the subject that I am trying to take a picture of. I have the screen on low to save battery but turn it up to full when I am taking pictures so that I can see how dim the pictures are (although I feel it should do this automatically). I'm hoping that an update will address this because its clearly just a small issue....or maybe its an issue with my device but we shall we.

LG Skin.

While the skin has some really good ideas and options, its not sense. I am starting to find the phone is getting a little laggy and is slowing down just a little. I know that people are having issues with the screen and the sensitivity and I too have had some issues with that and have had to download a 3rd party app to address this but the main thing is how unresponsive the unit can get at times.

What are your thoughts about the phone after spending extending time with it

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
All phones require some tradeoffs...the few issues I have are similar to some I had with the g2 and g3, which were refined with updates to become pretty smooth for me.
I'm quite happy with the phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm just the opposite, after disabling a bunch of apps and installing Nova (that Materials Design look is hideous) and getting to know the phone I like it more than I ever have. No lag discernible, no touch screen issues, tons of battery life...love it.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
So I have had this phone now for about 2 months after being one of the lucky people to sample the phone for LG.

Now while was happy with the phone, I'm starting to find little things which are beginning to tarnish the experience that I originally had with the device.

These are the main two

Firstly, the camera.

I hating the fact that I am now having to use the manual mode more and more to get the screen to be light enough to give me a picture that I can see the subject that I am trying to take a picture of. I have the screen on low to save battery but turn it up to full when I am taking pictures so that I can see how dim the pictures are (although I feel it should do this automatically). I'm hoping that an update will address this because its clearly just a small issue....or maybe its an issue with my device but we shall we.

LG Skin.

While the skin has some really good ideas and options, its not sense. I am starting to find the phone is getting a little laggy and is slowing down just a little. I know that people are having issues with the screen and the sensitivity and I too have had some issues with that and have had to download a 3rd party app to address this but the main thing is how unresponsive the unit can get at times.

What are your thoughts about the phone after spending extending time with it

For camera brightness, check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=546102

I use that for these apps: camera, quickpic gallery and editor, snapseed, paper artist, all my video players.

UPDATE: I've just tried out my Tasker recipe, and it no longer is working on the LG camera app! Geez. It works on other apps, but not the camera app. This is likely from a recent update to Tasker; it was working when I wrote my original thread. It's still good for Quickpic, Maps, Snapseed, etc.... just the LG Camera app is having issues.

Last edited:

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a fee issues, touch screen is super annoying, using a knock code some times takes 3-4 times to unlock due the unresponsive touch screen.

I also find this device to be a fair bit laggy compared to the S6.

If not for the better stand by time and 5.5 display I would have stuck it out with the S6 since I think it's a better device overall after some time with the G4.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Back up everything and factory reset. I did it a couple of week after owning the device. It works better now than out of the box. Also, I would recommend either the Google Now Launcher or Nova Launcher.

Posted via the Android Central App

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a fee issues, touch screen is super annoying, using a knock code some times takes 3-4 times to unlock due the unresponsive touch screen.

I also find this device to be a fair bit laggy compared to the S6.

If not for the better stand by time and 5.5 display I would have stuck it out with the S6 since I think it's a better device overall after some time with the G4.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

But you weren't happy with the s6, now you aren't happy with the g4. I am not sure you will be happy with any phone. Seems like some people are glass half empty people while others are glass half full types. I know making a decision between these two phones is difficult, but they are both pretty outstanding and are basically state of the art for mobile technology. I choose to be excited about the positive aspects of both phones.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, the camera.

I've noticed a dimming problem with my camera "viewfinder," but only when I turn it to a horizontal view. Vertically as you normally use the phone, the screen is OK when taking shots.

Has anyone else noticed this...and better, have a solution?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed a dimming problem with my camera "viewfinder," but only when I turn it to a horizontal view. Vertically as you normally use the phone, the screen is OK when taking shots.

I think the OP is saying that they want the camera to have full brightness when the phone brightness is less... something I can see being very useful. (Check out this post from June 30: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/543873-camera-auto-hdr.html#post4525984 )

I solved this using Tasker and Lux ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-control-app-brightness-using-lux-tasker.html ), but it's a bit complicated unless you're willing to learn how to use Tasker.

Other camera apps (such as A Better Camera) have this feature, but oddly enough Lux (if it's installed) actually prevents the feature from working! Hence my Tasker solution.

UPDATE: I've just tried out my Tasker recipe, and it no longer is working on the LG camera app! Geez. It works on other apps, but not the camera app. This is likely from a recent update to Tasker; it was working when I wrote my original thread. It's still good for Quickpic, Maps, Snapseed, etc.... just the LG Camera app is having issues.

Last edited:

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was on the search for the best phone I could get (just check my signature!) and i've tested a lot. Every phone has pros and cons. You just need to find the phone that works best for you. I have on my desk right now a Nexus 6 which is going back on Monday or Tuesday because it doesn't fit MY needs. But damn, the Nexus 6 is a FANTASTIC phone! Large screen, great build quality, front facing speakers, and it has a great camera as well (just not very fast). Battery life on it suffers, as does heating issues and outdoor visibility. As mentioned, its camera is good, but focus time is TERRIBLE even on Android M.

Next, let's see. I haven't had the Galaxy S6 - but UI, lag, memory management issues and short battery life. Fantastic camera is there and so is the build quality and design if you get the Edge.

I had the Note 4 - heated up easily, poorish battery life, camera was subpar in anything other than perfect lighting conditions, but it had one of the best screens and build quality (even though I kept it in cases because I hated the feel of that plastic-fauxleather crud).

What I'm trying to say here is that every device has its pros and cons. You need to find what works for you. I really disliked the warming up in my hands so I got the G4 for that and the camera. Battery life is a plus for sure! Also, expansion. You SHOULDN'T get this phone thinking the camera is a DSLR replacement - because it's not.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP is saying that they want the camera to have full brightness when the phone brightness is less... something I can see being very useful. (Check out this post from June 30: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/543873-camera-auto-hdr.html#post4525984 )

I solved this using Tasker and Lux ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...-control-app-brightness-using-lux-tasker.html ), but it's a bit complicated unless you're willing to learn how to use Tasker.

Other camera apps (such as A Better Camera) have this feature, but oddly enough Lux (if it's installed) actually prevents the feature from working! Hence my Tasker solution.

I had this set up on FV-5 but it resulted in showing the scene much brighter on the screen but after taking the shot it was darker. I had to switch that off or I would never get exposure correct.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was on the search for the best phone I could get (just check my signature!) and i've tested a lot. Every phone has pros and cons. You just need to find the phone that works best for you. I have on my desk right now a Nexus 6 which is going back on Monday or Tuesday because it doesn't fit MY needs. But damn, the Nexus 6 is a FANTASTIC phone! Large screen, great build quality, front facing speakers, and it has a great camera as well (just not very fast). Battery life on it suffers, as does heating issues and outdoor visibility. As mentioned, its camera is good, but focus time is TERRIBLE even on Android M.

Next, let's see. I haven't had the Galaxy S6 - but UI, lag, memory management issues and short battery life. Fantastic camera is there and so is the build quality and design if you get the Edge.

I had the Note 4 - heated up easily, poorish battery life, camera was subpar in anything other than perfect lighting conditions, but it had one of the best screens and build quality (even though I kept it in cases because I hated the feel of that plastic-fauxleather crud).

What I'm trying to say here is that every device has its pros and cons. You need to find what works for you. I really disliked the warming up in my hands so I got the G4 for that and the camera. Battery life is a plus for sure! Also, expansion. You SHOULDN'T get this phone thinking the camera is a DSLR replacement - because it's not.

Yep as much as I love my M9 the camera is not good once indoor or low light, it's perfect outside + RAW but indoor...
The screen is beginning to be small for me.
The G4 has perfect size to screen ratio though I think it will be better to wait an extra month to see what the Note 5 has to offer, no SD card will be a big No for me

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
But you weren't happy with the s6, now you aren't happy with the g4. I am not sure you will be happy with any phone. Seems like some people are glass half empty people while others are glass half full types. I know making a decision between these two phones is difficult, but they are both pretty outstanding and are basically state of the art for mobile technology. I choose to be excited about the positive aspects of both phones.

You keep missing my point :)

Just because I personally feel the " overall entire package "'of the S6 makes for a better phone, I still opted out and went with the G4,. I agree both of these phones are as good as it currently gets, I wish I could marry these phones to each other and pic,and choose parts I want to take from each ;)

Here's a quick hit list of wishes.

- better build quality (does not need to be unibody)
- rear or front facing speakers
- enhanced point and shoot camera function (give me the slider ability to adjust brightness auto like ios9 and the s6 5.1.1) as this will help a bit when the G4 leans a little to the brighter side of things.
- Touch screen issues exist, let's not debate it's a serious issue.
- Wide angle front shooter
- LG UI while decent suffers and causes the experience to feel disjointed and confusing as well as in my opinion ugly. Give us a beautiful well thought out clean material UI, not is mix and match of squares, circles and pill shapes with scrolling text in buttons (thankfully we have a list view ) etc, it's decent but it can be a Whole lot better.
- wireless charging out of the box, you can buy a sticker for about $6, charge an extra dollar or two for each phone and give it to us out of the box.
- form factor, not sure why LG decided to go larger, but I think the phone was a bit sleeker with the thinner bezel, they should have kept the size and made a marginal adjustment to make it feel fresh, the curve is great but the phone being larger feels like it just breaks the cusp of maybe being to large for some.

These things above are minor, but if they had done this it would have made things even better than the phone already is in MY personal opinion.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site

Just to ask the basic question, are you wearing sunglasses when the screen gets dimmer with the phone turned horizontally? Polarized sunglasses will do this, due to the nature of LCD screens, vs OLED screens like on a Galaxy.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I had this set up on FV-5 but it resulted in showing the scene much brighter on the screen but after taking the shot it was darker. I had to switch that off or I would never get exposure correct.

Thanks for letting me know about that; I'm working on a set of Tasker profiles/tasks and will keep that in mind. I'm hoping to figure out how to export them (it's supposed to work, but doesn't!) so that others can simply download them instead of having to do all the setup.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know about that; I'm working on a set of Tasker profiles/tasks and will keep that in mind. I'm hoping to figure out how to export them (it's supposed to work, but doesn't!) so that others can simply download them instead of having to do all the setup.

Just to clarify, I wasn't using tasker, it was an option within FV-5 to set screen to max brightness automatically. Seemed like a good idea but wasn't, at least for manually setting exposure.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, I wasn't using tasker, it was an option within FV-5 to set screen to max brightness automatically. Seemed like a good idea but wasn't, at least for manually setting exposure.

Ah got it :)

That's why I use Tasker to do this; the FV5 app is bright and then I have quickpic or gallery or whatever also bright. Note that quickpic, like FV5, has this functionality built in (settings... view) - so they should be a good combo without using tasker at all. (I have not tested this.)

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Curious- do you guys typically set exposure by eye, just from looking at the screen?

I guess I don't really trust looking at the screen, whether on my camera or phone. Too many variables, including how bright the screen is, and how bright the environment is (outdoors in full sunlight, etc). I usually let the camera evaluate/set the exposure, at least as a starting point. Then I'll sometimes tweak it from there if I don't like how the picture looks, often using the +/- EV control for speed/simplicity.

But even if using full-manual controls, I use the camera's exposure feedback to get started. Using spot-metering, etc, if needed, to set the exposure based on the part of the scene I'm interested in.

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Curious- do you guys typically set exposure by eye, just from looking at the screen?

I guess I don't really trust looking at the screen, whether on my camera or phone. Too many variables, including how bright the screen is, and how bright the environment is (outdoors in full sunlight, etc). I usually let the camera evaluate/set the exposure, at least as a starting point. Then I'll sometimes tweak it from there if I don't like how the picture looks, often using the +/- EV control for speed/simplicity.

But even if using full-manual controls, I use the camera's exposure feedback to get started. Using spot-metering, etc, if needed, to set the exposure based on the part of the scene I'm interested in.
I look at that bar on the top. I usually like it between -1 and 0. But sometimes I'll use between 0 and +1

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hennapatel