AI and Machine Learning

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
There is a lot of chatter among the paranoid class, that in order to use the new P8 AI features, your photos and/or videos need to be sent to Google’s servers, processed, and then returned.

1. Is this true?
2. If so to what extent?

Addendum:
I did find this on Wired.

“A copy of your video, which can be up to 4K at 30 frames per second, is then sent over to Google’s Cloud for processing. This processing can dramatically improve stabilization, upgrade clarity, and reduce noise, and the improved clip is then sent back to your device. Depending on the video length, this could take minutes or you might have to wait overnight.”

Last edited:
Reactions: alexsaunders790

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of chatter among the paranoid class, that in order to use the new P8 AI features, your photos and/or videos need to be sent to Google’s servers, processed, and then returned.

1. Is this true?
2. If so to what extent?
That's a New service that Google will roll out in the future for video. Otherwise, all processing is done on the phone.

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site

1. Is this true?
2. If so to what extent?

Addendum:
I did find this on Wired.

“A copy of your video, which can be up to 4K at 30 frames per second, is then sent over to Google’s Cloud for processing. This processing can dramatically improve stabilization, upgrade clarity, and reduce noise, and the improved clip is then sent back to your device. Depending on the video length, this could take minutes or you might have to wait overnight.”
I believe that is for the "video boost" feature that is supposed to come out later this year. And my impression is that you have to select to apply the feature to a specific video. If that is the case, then videos will be processed on your phone unless you decide to enhance the video with video boost.

Reactions: wyelkins and Ben_70