All contacts saved on device get continually deleted

GusK9

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi All,

I have two phones - one I want to use for personal and one I want to use for work/colleagues that I can just shut off on weekends and holidays, etc.

So, I have gone through all my contacts and sorted them based on if they are personal or work related and added them to the phones respectively.

Contact sync is turned off on both phones so the contacts will not all get merged again and the contacts are added/saved to the device only. This works fine for about one day. If I have to restart the phone - all the contacts are gone. If I stop using the phone when I sleep and check it the next morning, all the contacts are gone.

Is there something I am not aware of about why Google/Android will not allow contacts to be added and remain saved to device only? If I wanted them synced, then I would sync them myself. But I really wish Android would respect how I wish to configure my own devices.

Luckily I thought ahead to make a vcf backup of the contacts. So, they're easy enough to restore. But it's just one more task I need to do when I already have a busy enough schedule. Especially when I shouldn't even have to be doing it once. If I take the time to add a contact, it's truly because I want it there. Not so Android can just remove again a few hours later. And yes, this happens to both phones each and everyday.

If anyone knows how prevent contacts from being automatically deleted on a consistent basis, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome
I have mine set up with 2 different Gmail account one a work Gmail and other friends /family that way sync and no issues.

GusK9

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi, welcome
I have mine set up with 2 different Gmail account one a work Gmail and other friends /family that way sync and no issues.

That would be fine except I have apps linked to my Gmail account and if I created another one, then I'd need to repurchase them again with the new account. Not a huge issue, but my main point is why Google/Android prevents users from having contacts on their phones if they are not synced? If contacts are not allowed to be saved to "device only" why is that even listed as an option when creating a new contact in the first place?

I have already purchased my phones - I'm not renting them or leasing them from Google. Therefore, I think I should at least have the right to setup my devices in the manner which will work best for myself and not have my user experience dictated by Google.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That would be fine except I have apps linked to my Gmail account and if I created another one, then I'd need to repurchase them again with the new account. Not a huge issue, but my main point is why Google/Android prevents users from having contacts on their phones if they are not synced? If contacts are not allowed to be saved to "device only" why is that even listed as an option when creating a new contact in the first place?

I have already purchased my phones - I'm not renting them or leasing them from Google. Therefore, I think I should at least have the right to setup my devices in the manner which will work best for myself and not have my user experience dictated by Google.
I have purchased apps also , when I made the other Gmail account you can select which account you need to switch between and will download to the phone .

So you'll see 2 Gmail accounts in play store and switch between by selecting the name or picture of the account

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Why not just keep all of your contacts in your Google Contacts, and create two main labels -- one of them being Personal, and the other one being Work? You can easily toggle between the two, depending on the phone you're using.

GusK9

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Why not just keep all of your contacts in your Google Contacts, and create two main labels -- one of them being Personal, and the other one being Work? You can easily toggle between the two, depending on the phone you're using.

Thank you. And, I do understand I could create labels and toggle between different categories. But my main concern is why Android flat out refuses to allow contacts to be stored directly on the device? I mean, they provide that option when adding a brand new contact. There's always an option of whether to create the contact to be associated with my Gmail account or whether I want to create it on my device. If I select device, then the contact is automatically removed within the next several hours. It's very much NOT appreciated. If I create it on the device, then I want it to stay on the device. Period. I do actually know how to delete a contact if I choose to do so. I don't need Android doing it for me and without my permission.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone do you have? And what's the device account called? You're right that contacts saved to a local Device/Phone account should not be deleted automatically, and they typically don't sync anywhere, so syncing wouldn't be the problem.