Almost Clone ALL Settings and Data to New Phone?

cormie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm having trouble restoring all files to my new phone. I would have thought Android would be able to do this much easier. If I could, I'd love to just input my Google account password into a new phone, wait for syncing and then it would be like using the same home screen, same apps with all the same data and settings, but I've tried 3 methods so far and when I'm opening apps on the new phone, it still looks like I'm opening them for the first time ;(

I'm going from a Z3 Compact to a S7 Galaxy Active

• On set up I did the NFC back to back which transferred all my Google account info and maybe some other info, but not my app data
  • I then installed Samsung Smart Switch, and this appeared to transfer some (not all) call logs and sms messages, but no data from WhatsApp or Shazam etc.
  • I then tried Helium and I see the list of disallowed apps is almost longer than the list of allowed apps, so don't see any point doing it this way either ;(

Is there any way to just almost CLONE the system you used and use it on the new phone? All settings and data the same? Is this possible at all?

Any feedback would be great :)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to just almost CLONE the system you used and use it on the new phone? All settings and data the same? Is this possible at all?

Any feedback would be great :)

Not to my knowledge. Maybe on rooted phones there is a solution, but I don't know about that.

It took me a full day of logging in, tweaking, etc, to restore everything I had. Days later, I still occasionally find things that don't work and have to be set up that I missed. I imagine I will be able to say that, with decreasing frequency, for awhile. It's not quite as annoying as setting up a new desktop, but it has gotten to the point where I had rather keep the phone for an extra year or two.

Now, I will say things have gotten a bit better. Between Google smart lock that I use for some programs and Google backup, I did have a somewhat easier time of it this time than in the past. It even transferred my home screen wallpaper. Of course, the phones were not identical, so I still had to reinstall the desired wallpaper and reset it manually anyway. :)

Some apps I had did not automatically reload--perhaps because I also changed Android version operating system from 6 to 7 and manufacturers as well--but most did. Most thing then had to be reset. I'd love it if with some app like DriveSync, all the folders I'd set up automatically transferred...but no.

The old days of Palm OS when you could make an image and just restore it--were far better in this regard. I would say, though, that it works fine doing that with A to A, but in a circumstance where I changed phones, manufacturers and operating systems, I doubt you could just plug an image back in without anomalies.

cormie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply, well it seems you think the exact same way I do. I'd much rather all my personal settings and data could just appear on a new device and to be set up how I set them up originally and I'm the same as you with desktops (well, in my case a laptop), it takes forever for me to set up a PC with all the settings how I want, 10x longer than it does with a phone. I used to know Windows XP very well and could set it up exactly how I wanted, but I was using W7 and now using W10 and haven't really learned either of them well.

I wish there was a central "YOU" service that would be stored in the cloud, that had all settings and preferences how you like and then devices could read this and set themselves up to meet your needs. Asking too much I guess haha.

I'm just kinda surprised that since Android is the central OS for all these phones and whatever ROMS and UI's are themed over the original stock Android, that it can't do something like this.

So I think without root, there's no option but to either do it all manually by transferring files, or to just start each app fresh and set it up manually ;(

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was a central "YOU" service that would be stored in the cloud, that had all settings and preferences how you like and then devices could read this and set themselves up to meet your needs. Asking too much I guess haha.
Awesome idea. If only someone would take you up on it. It would require a VERY smart program, though, that could read all differences between versions, storage areas, etc. The potential for mischief would be enormous if they do not get it exactly right.

I'm just kinda surprised that since Android is the central OS for all these phones and whatever ROMS and UI's are themed over the original stock Android, that it can't do something like this.

Don't underestimate all those specialty overlays from the manufacturer. When I set up by new phone last week, Google even re-downloaded for me some Samsung apps. Which I no longer need, since it's no longer a Samsung phone and they won't help much. ;)

So I think without root, there's no option but to either do it all manually by transferring files, or to just start each app fresh and set it up manually ;

cormie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for your input! Yup, I was thinking how a central "YOU" service would work, that it could work with all devices too, so you're effectively using the same "YOU" for all your devices, phone, laptop, tablet etc and what's more, you could login to your "YOU" from any device too.

It'd be a HUGE undertaking to develop something like it though, but I think it'd be awesome :)

I got the same thing with the new phone, I see the Sony apps (which I never installed, but were actually bloatware from the Z3 compact) are now also on my S7 Active. I will have to get rid of them and make sure they are off my list for good though :)

So looks like I'll be stuck with manual transfers and messing with files ;(

Thanks again for your help!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bramhast