amoled display on Moto x

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a nexus 4 ips display.. Are amoled displays typically over saturated and warm (yellow whites) or is the Moto x more so?

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Definitely over saturated. I haven't noticed a yellow tint, usually they are more blue than IPS and not as bright. But the trade off is you get those killer blacks and the colors pop.

material yolo?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely more saturated than the IPS display of the Nexus 4 (which I also own). To me it has a warmer tint than the Nexus 4, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I don't think it's much different from other AMOLED displays I've seen.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea I'm trying to get over the yellow whites. Also some images just look way different especially my weather app. Only other IPS display phone available would be a one plus one for the price.

wmdunn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want to balance out the dingy whites, pick up Screen Adjuster in the app store, and adjust the blue slider 40 points. I also adjust the green about 5 points. There is a free version, but the no ad's version is only a buck.

Last edited:

benrk

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I feel you. I'm coming from an HTC One M7 and the warmth and graininess of the screen really bug me. IPS screens are far superior in my opinion, the grainy and spotty look on solid colors make me feel like I'm using a GNex again.

Do your screens look like this or is mine bad?

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried screen adjuster but it doesn't work so well in lollipop as the bottom on screen controls don't change color. I emailed developer but haven't heard back. I've compared to other Moto x and they look pretty similar. It's the type of panel. However I am slowly getting used to it.

wmdunn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Lollipop, and it works fine. Not sure what you're having problems with. If you could be more specific, perhaps I could help. Are you using the $.99 paid version?

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you swipe to Google now or on a white background you will notice that the bar on the bottom of the screen where your onscreen buttons are still remains unchanged by the app. Also have you figured out a way to remove the notification icon when app is in use?

wmdunn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I did notice that the icons remain the yellowish cast, but they are so insignificant that they don't bother me. You get rid of the notification icon in the lollipop notifications settings.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I actually am in the camp of "AMOLED presents better-than-real-life display quality." I happen to prefer the oversaturation. And, of course, the biggest benefit of using AMOLED is the ability to implement Moto Display; I will take all of the tradeoffs of using AMOLED just to be able to use this feature. It pretty much has become indispensable to me.

wmdunn

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I agree completely ... it's just that I prefer my whites to be more on the bluish side, and screen adjuster allows me to do that.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
After my last three phones using Amoled panels I really don't want a phone without one. I'll be first in line when they can make amoled TV cost effective.

Posted via the Android Central App