An app that is just a live rear camera feed?

Zarquan314

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Since the pandemic started, I've been working from home. For a lot of my meetings, I write things on a whiteboard or project a document camera. Unfortuately, I don't have that option at home. That is when I thought "My tablet has a nice camera, I'll just use that!"

First, I tried just using it like a normal camera in Zoom. This was completely unreadable which wasn't really a surprise. This was meant for faces and seeing people talk, so they prioritize framerate over quality.

Then, I told Zoom to share my screen and opened my camera app and it worked...ish. Everything was readable and it was quite helpful.

Unfortunately, the camera app had a few problems.

1. I couldn't get rid of the camera options or the take a picture button.
2. The app kept closing if I didn't interact with it.

Is there an app that is just a live feed from my tablet's camera to my tablet's screen that will stay on? No buttons, no interface, just a live feed? Ideally, there would be an option to lower the framerate to ensure higher quality images.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use the tablet itself as the whiteboard (on OneNote, for instance) and share that over Zoom instead of using the camera feed?

Zarquan314

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Why not just use the tablet itself as the whiteboard (on OneNote, for instance) and share that over Zoom instead of using the camera feed?

That is something I've tried, but my penmanship on the tablet is atrocious. I don't know if its me or a bad stylus or my tablet is not modern enough, but it takes me forever to write anything legibly and I end up having to write everything so big I can't get any complex ideas on the screen.

Plus it wouldn't solve my document camera problem. Sometimes, I am sharing pages from physical books without knowing the pages beforehand, so I can't really feasibly scan them beforehand without scanning the whole book (which I would rather not do).

I found an app called IP Webcam, an app designed use my tablet as a camera for a laptop. This fortunately shows the camera output on my tablet's screen with good quality, which I can then share on Zoom. This appears to have everything I want, except of course on screen ads.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the problem would be that even if you created a blank homescreen, you'd still have the icons from the Favorites Tray showing up at the bottom.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Old thread, but I just ran into this scenario and used a Tab S with great results (since the Tab S supports Active Stylus, you could use the smaller-screen of a Note 20 as well), so maybe getting a cheaper S-Pen-enabled tablet (like the newer Tab A or the Tab S Lite) will do the trick for you.

I logged into my computer for audio/video, and then logged into my tablet (downside is your meeting participants will see you as connected twice; screen mirroring and direct white board on Zoom is only currently available on iOS devices). Then just used the stylus on the tablet to present and write over documents and use it as a whiteboard.