An SMS text message that will not die!

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My Fascinate with Android 2.2 (latest consumer update etc) received an SMS text message 10 days ago that will not go away.

The notification icon on the home row shows a constant "1" overlaid on it, but when I open Messaging it is not there. Even after I Clear Data in system > manage applications > messaging and delete ALL SMS text messages from my phone, this thing is still out there somewhere and just will not disappear. The Clear Cache button on that same system page is never available for me to click on.

Where is the actual SMS info saved on the phone? Is there a directory I can go to with a file manager and get rid of this thing? It is soooo annoying that it will not clear. I do NOT want to have to do a factory reset. that is too painful.

It still even shows up in the status bar at the top of the phone like its a brand-new incoming message...

stoben

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
not to be sound stupid, but have you rebooted the device? ive had issues like this before and after a reboot it went away. just a thought.

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
multiple times. my first action after trying to purge the Data under Applications menu. No effect.

What's really stupid is the message itself is gone - I deleted ALL sms messages. It's like just a notification header info data chunk is still out there somewhere - the info you see pop into the top status line when a text is received.

somewhere on this phone there is a file that holds that info....but where???

bigjobber69

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
are u running a custom rom? do u have a backup via TIB? I would say wipe big three in CWM and rebuild my son. if no backup and no custom rom or anything hard reset/wipe the data on phone and rebuild if it is bothering you that much. Take a trip down odin lane with partition check with pitt file will mos def clear it. All depends on how much it is annoying you.

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
are u running a custom rom? do u have a backup via TIB? I would say wipe big three in CWM and rebuild my son. if no backup and no custom rom or anything hard reset/wipe the data on phone and rebuild if it is bothering you that much. Take a trip down odin lane with partition check with pitt file will mos def clear it. All depends on how much it is annoying you.

Wow. What language is this? I don't have anything custom - its a stock verizon fascinate. Now, would you care to rewrite your note without all the acronyms and techno jargon that mean nothing to me? I don't know how to root my phone (yet).

Doesn't anyone know if there is just a file somewhere that holds the sms headers that can be tweaked?

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you using any SMS apps other than the stock one? Sometimes, using more than one app will get you multiple notifications for the same message. Also, I don't know this off the top of my head, but is it possible to turn off the message numbers on the icons? Or is that an automatic thing? If it can be toggled on and off, try turning it off and back on to see if that clears it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma