Android 2.1 Disappointments?

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
So I saw on AC's main page that a lot of users were disappointed to find out that they only got three desktops. I will be disappointed as well, seeing as I'd love to have that many to put widgets and icons on lol.

I don't really care about the live wallpapers, but a few of them actually look pretty cool! The same goes for pinch to zoom, doesn't really bother me, but is still a nice feature to have.

I hope we get the new 3D app drawer as well, it's quite a nice touch lol. Here's hoping that we get some well deserved content in our 2.1 release (and a way to remove the Sprint apps we never use lol)!

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I feel you one hundred percent. I still love my phone, however xp

I read somewhere on the site that we should hear some more news on the subject this month...can we just skip the news and get straight to the OTA/PC updates?!

I'm so excited I can't wait!!! I hope with our good processor we get some more of the great features the N1 has lol.

Drybonz

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
a lot of users were disappointed to find out that they only got three desktops. I will be disappointed as well, seeing as I'd love to have that many to put widgets and icons on lol.

Here's hoping that we get some well deserved content in our 2.1 release (and a way to remove the Sprint apps we never use lol)!

As much as I am hoping for the Moment 2.1 update to come soon, like everyone else... there are some things you can be doing now to get the most out of your device...

You can already get more desktop screens by installing a home screen replacement app through the market. I am using Open Home, but there are others as well.

It is also possible to remove some of the junk Sprint apps, like Nascar, etc... You will need to root your phone to do this... once you root your phone you can use an app like Root Explorer, from the market to remove the apps.

Unfortunately, the Moment Roms and Hacks section here at Android Central is dead as a doornail... so you will have to look elsewhere for good tutorials on rooting, or for some pre-rooted custom kernels. I recommend SDX Developers... check them out.

Hopefully, Android Central will work on adding some of these things in their Moment section to liven it up a bit.

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm also a member at samsungmomentforum.com lol. But however I did use Panda Home for a while. Haven't tried any of the newer home replacements-I just don't see the need to download software to do something that an update should do lol. However, if the update doesn't include it, I'll probably have a look at Helix :)

HampTheToker

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I paid my bill at Sprint a couple days ago and asked about 2.1. The guy asked one of his coworkers and the guy said June in a matter of fact tone of voice.

Take it how you will, but personally, I was a little pissed. June is NOT early 2Q.

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Agreed hamp. That's a tad far for me to wait. Just sounds rediculous considering the VZW Droid just got its 2.1. Just doesn't seem fair! :-(

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I did the manual update and didn't get the 3D app drawer. Not sure if those who waited for the ota got it or not. I would be glad if they installed some stock instant messengers other than gtalk.

robbies7897

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. Id like to see a complete convergance of messengers all into one, like Meebo or eBuddy. I hope we get the new drawer as well, but the added homescreens and speech to text is what I want lol.

Crunchy Frog

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I paid my bill at Sprint a couple days ago and asked about 2.1. The guy asked one of his coworkers and the guy said June in a matter of fact tone of voice.

Take it how you will, but personally, I was a little pissed. June is NOT early 2Q.

I personally have never found Sprint store reps to be up to date on much of anything. I am normally the one telling them what is out or coming out and I find this common amongst carriers too.

I'm still going with the quasi official Sprint statement about end of April for the official release of 2.1. In the mean time, I installed the leaked 2.1 (DD03) and have been delighted with it. I do have a few gripes with it, however the original 1.5 that I had on it was awful and now find the phone highly reliable now.

LSanna1488

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Im running a rooted 2.1 DD03 only a couple small quirks here and there. Nothing major. SDX-developers definately know what theyre doing. Got the N1 launcher with 5 home screens instead of the normal 3. Live wallpaper working, new gallery for photos and vids, and was able to take out most of the junk that sprint seems to keep putting in. Everything is explained to you. Here are some links to those who want to experience your phone in a whole new way. Enjoy!

[How To] - Root Android 2.1 DD03 - v5

SDX Android 2.1 - All the Release Info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mahendra K